Selecting lines with an endpoint within a distance of a point feature class

Jump to solution
06-12-2017 02:55 PM
TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

Any ideas on ways to select line features that have an endpoint/node within a distance of a point feature class? I have been using arcpy.SpatialJoin_analysis and arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management to achieve selecting all lines that fall within a specified distance of a point feature class; though, I want to make sure I do not capture lines that may fall within the search radius of a point but do not have and endpoint within the same search radius (e.g. just passing nearby within the search radius). I don't see this type of selection as a built in function for either arcpy.SpatialJoin_analysis or arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management, but I may have missed something. This would be a very useful functionality if it exists.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukeWebb
Occasional Contributor III

Use tool "Feature Vertices to Points" to convert the lines to start and end points, then join to them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You could also compare results with Near or Generate Near Table which would identify segments who are closest/within a distance of the points but whose endpoints may not be.

LukeWebb
Occasional Contributor III

Use tool "Feature Vertices to Points" to convert the lines to start and end points, then join to them.

TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

I think this'll do the trick. Thanks!

0 Kudos