Failed to connect to specified server. Failure to access the DBMS server

04-27-2017 11:35 PM
DominicDelucia
New Contributor II

Here is my situation. I am running ArcMap 10.2 for desktop on a PC with Microsoft Vista Service Pack 2 64 bit. I know I should just upgrade the operating system but my outdated computer can't handle Windows 10. I am trying to go through the tutorial data that was provided with the student software disk. I downloaded and installed SQL Server Express 2012 for 64 bit because it appears that is the newest version that will run on this operating system. As I am going through the Database Servers lesson, I am having an issue every step of the way. That is not surprising as I have limited experience with SQL. I am working through Exercise 5 in the lesson, when I attempt to add a database connection in Catalog ( I need to add here that I am trying to access this as editor1, one of two additional Windows authentication ID's on the same machine as the server, that the instructions had me create in the event of not having another computer to access from. ) to the <Computer name>\Osokopf database, I am getting the error message "Failed to connect to specified server. Do you want to Continue? Failure to access the DBMS server.". I found the help documentation stating that this error occurs when a database server is not installed on the standard port 1433. It says to specify the port. My server TCP ports were all listed blank with 0 at dynamic port, which I believe means they were using dynamic ports. First I turned on the SQL server browser so it could locate the dynamic ports, then I tried to specify the ports to 1433, and created rules for windows firewall to let through connections to 1433 and 1434. I still got the same message. Then I tried to configure the server using a tutorial from Microsoft but it appeared most of the work had been done when I granted permissions etc. earlier in the lesson. Again, I have very limited knowledge of SQL, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dominic,

Try installing the Native Client and see if that will allow you to connect:

Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Native Client - QFE from Official Microsoft Download Center 

DominicDelucia
New Contributor II

Hi Jake,

I just downloaded this and when I click on the installer, nothing happens. I tried right clicking it and selecting install, still nothing. Is it possible this means that the native client is already installed?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can check Control Panel to see if you have Microsoft SQL Server Native Client installed.

DominicDelucia
New Contributor II

Thank you. It shows Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 2012 is installed. 

0 Kudos
ManviLather1
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

Could you please check the error message in sdedc_SQL Server.log file.

whenever we create a connection to the geodatabase, an entry goes to the sdedc_sqlserver.log file.

Here are the steps:

1. Navigate to C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp or type %temp% in window explorer
 2. Search for "sdedc_SQL Server.log" file.

DominicDelucia
New Contributor II

I found it. It says: 

CAN'T OPEN INSTANCE: sde:sqlserver.
Spatial Engine Connection Failed (-409).
Cannot Get Access to Instance sde:sqlserver

Thank you for the response.

ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are working with Express you should connect using Database Servers and then use left mouse to create New Geodatabase.

Then you can do a Save Connection on the connect from Database Servers and it will create a connection in Database Connections

Have Fun

Mody

DominicDelucia
New Contributor II

I did use Database servers in catalog to attempt the connection. This time though, I tried save connection, which created to connection in database connections. However, when I log in as editor 1, the connection has a red x mark, and when I try to connect to it, I get the same error message. Now when I try to connect to the database server through Database servers, it yields the same error message I have been getting, but with a different heading that says "Register Database Server".

0 Kudos