Shortlist not adding location

Jump to solution
03-07-2017 08:50 AM
CaseyHancock1
New Contributor

I am currently working on a shortlist storymap. I am having success adding my photo, description, and searching for the location. When I click "choose this location" nothing is happening. This was happening yesterday intermittently, and I was successful most of the day. Now, it is not working again at all. Wondering if others are also having this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Casey

Sorry about the issue. On Tuesday night we updated Shortlist with a couple of fixes in the area you mentioned above.

These also handle the issue that Ying mentioned above. Ying discovered that if an ArcGIS Online Organization had a HTTP based geocoder as one of its Geocoding Utility Services Settings, then the Shortlist Builder's Set Location/Change Location button didn't do anything if the Builder was accessed over HTTPS. This should work OK now.

There are currently two issues in the area of using the Set Location/Change Location button in the Shortlist Builder beta (at least that we know about):

1) If you create a Shortlist from a web map containing point features and you use the option to import those points into your Shortlist as places, then when the Builder launches if you try and use Set Location/Change Location to add or edit a place's location, typing in an address usually doesn't work. It will let you use the mouse to click to add a location or drag a place to a new location interactively, but won't let you enter an address or place name successfully. If that happens to you click the Cancel button to quit the location adding/editing mode for your current place. This only affects the Import workflow and only affects the first time the Builder opens after you create a new Shortlist that way. If you encounter this issue the workaround is therefore to click Save in the Builder to save your Shortlist, and then reload the Builder in your web browser. It doesn't impact existing Shortlists.

2) This is unusual but if the Set Location/Change Location do nothing when you click them in the Builder then there may be an invalid geocoder in your Organization's Geocoding Utility Services Settings. 

Sorry about those issues and we hope to address them when we leave beta probably mid-year.

Rupert

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi Casey,

I was not able to reproduce this issue.  My guess is that this might be related to browser or network specific issues?  Do you see any request failures in your browser's Dev Tools Network tab?  If you're still having problems I'd suggest logging a Tech Support case.  If you don't maintenance with us, you can PM me your contact information and I'll see if I can get a case set up for you.

Regards,

Alan

0 Kudos
YingZhong1
New Contributor

Hi Casey, 

I was able to reproduce this issue. To resolve it, please try: 

1. For your existing Shortlist StoryMap, launch it through HTTP instead of HTTPS (modify the url from https://... to http://...).  This should enable you to search for and select locations. 

2. To create a new Shortlist StoryMap, go to arcgis.com > My Content > Create > App > Using a template. The app created using this way should not have this problem. The problem is likely to be specific to apps built from: Story Map Shortlist | Story Maps

Bests,

Ying

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Casey

Sorry about the issue. On Tuesday night we updated Shortlist with a couple of fixes in the area you mentioned above.

These also handle the issue that Ying mentioned above. Ying discovered that if an ArcGIS Online Organization had a HTTP based geocoder as one of its Geocoding Utility Services Settings, then the Shortlist Builder's Set Location/Change Location button didn't do anything if the Builder was accessed over HTTPS. This should work OK now.

There are currently two issues in the area of using the Set Location/Change Location button in the Shortlist Builder beta (at least that we know about):

1) If you create a Shortlist from a web map containing point features and you use the option to import those points into your Shortlist as places, then when the Builder launches if you try and use Set Location/Change Location to add or edit a place's location, typing in an address usually doesn't work. It will let you use the mouse to click to add a location or drag a place to a new location interactively, but won't let you enter an address or place name successfully. If that happens to you click the Cancel button to quit the location adding/editing mode for your current place. This only affects the Import workflow and only affects the first time the Builder opens after you create a new Shortlist that way. If you encounter this issue the workaround is therefore to click Save in the Builder to save your Shortlist, and then reload the Builder in your web browser. It doesn't impact existing Shortlists.

2) This is unusual but if the Set Location/Change Location do nothing when you click them in the Builder then there may be an invalid geocoder in your Organization's Geocoding Utility Services Settings. 

Sorry about those issues and we hope to address them when we leave beta probably mid-year.

Rupert

PeterKing
Occasional Contributor

Our organization too was having this issue today and the solution is in fact item #2 that Rupert from Esri outlined. We had a URL to an old non-functioning geocode service which was causing the issue. Not sure why this is still an issue and has yet to be fixed but thought I would co-sign on the correct response.