ESRI JS API 4.2 : Vector tiles on latest Chrome for Android do not display

02-13-2017 09:40 AM
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I just tested publishing vector tiles to AGOL and when testing it on various browsers I found out that my tiles were not displaying on an up to date Chrome for Android 55.0.2883.91.

I thought at the beginning that it could come from my package so I switched to a very basic map with js api 4.2 using ESRI Vector tiles:

map = new Map({
basemap: 'streets-navigation-vector'
});

It turns out that they do not display as well.

The debugger is full of the following warnings:

"Data type is uint however extension OES_Element_index_unit is not supported therefore this draw call cannot be made."

The browser is up to date and for example Mapbox vector tiles display properly either v8 or v9:

var map = new mapboxgl.Map({
container: 'map',
style: 'mapbox://styles/mapbox/streets-v8'
});

So finally, I decided to switch to 4.1 ESRI JS API and it worked ! ESRI vector tiles displayed properly. Problem is that my vector tiles are not projected in WGS84 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) and it seems that it was not supported at 4.1.

Hopefully it will be fixed in 4.3.

This brings me to a second point : is it planned in ESRI JS API to detect if client support vector tiles ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LloydHeberlie
Occasional Contributor

Hello Nicolas,

Thanks for the feedback.

I just tested the streets-navigation-vector basemap with 4.3 on Google Nexus 5 Chrome version (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Nexus 5 Build/M4B30Z) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/55.0.2883.91 Mobile Safari/537.36). There are no errors in the console.

require([
  "esri/Map",
  "esri/views/MapView",
  "dojo/domReady!"
], function (Map, MapView){

var map = new Map({
    basemap: "streets-navigation-vector"
  });

var view = new MapView({
    container: "view-div",
    map: map,
    zoom: 4,
    center: [15, 65]
  });

});‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

I also looked at the the same map with 4.2 but didn't see any errors when remotely debugging the device.

JS Bin - Collaborative JavaScript Debugging 

If you can share the url to your custom vector tile layer hosted on ArcGIS Online, I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Lloyd

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Lloyd,

Thanks for your answer. Indeed, I tried my vector tiles on different devices and it does work (tested on one plus and samsung galaxy) but unfortunately on mine, with the latest Chrome it does not work (with 4.2 JS API only) so I thought it was worth mentionning it as a kind of regression ?

In case, you need more info about the browser, it is Chrome for Android 55.0.2883.91. running on a Wiko Bloom (https://fr.wikomobile.com/bloom-black/ )

Thanks,

Nicolas

0 Kudos