Unable to add features using Arcgis Online (edits)

02-07-2017 01:43 PM
DanielCruz1
New Contributor III

Hi, I need help on how to add new features in a survey123 project. The person in charge of collecting surveys had some problems with the mobile device and she needed to do 7 survey at the old style (paper). Now I am trying to add those survey to the survey123 service using ArcGIS on line (web map) and the map does not accept  any new point in the service. I can edit attributes on the existing points but I am unable to add new point to it. Can someone tell me how to do this? I really need to know if is there any setting on the service that I need to modify or a box that needs to be checked. Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For me I had the best luck with ArcRest.  It comes with a toolbox that allows you to give it a file and it will append all of it to the HFS.  Easy to use.  You have to setup ArcRest first but its pretty easy.

I tried I ton of other ways but this was the easiest and most stable.  Plus all it did was simply append the records not messing with anything else.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You should be able to add new features, as Survey123 uses the same procedures that the web map does.  You may want to check your Feature Service's editing settings - Go to My Content, click on the folder named 'survey-[Survey Name]' and then click on the Feature Layer in the list of items.  The Settings tab in the item details.  In particular, the 'What kind of editing is allowed' setting might have been set to 'Only update feature attributes' - this would cause the issue you're experiencing (though this would have had to happen after the surveys were submitted).

0 Kudos
DanielCruz1
New Contributor III

James these are my setting, do you see anything wrong?

0 Kudos
DanielCruz1
New Contributor III

James I just want to mention that I created a preliminary survey on this project where I can do all type of edits with no problems at all. The only difference between these two surveys is that in the final survey (production) I changed the image field from single pictures to multiple pictures. Can this change be the reason of locking the service from add new features? I already tried GIS Pro, desk top, and ArcGIS on line with no results. I will appreciate any help with this problem.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The feature service settings look appropriate and should allow you to add new features.  You could try switching it to 'Only add features' temporarily, which should still provide the ability to add.  

When you 'changed the image field from single pictures to multiple pictures', you placed in the image question in a repeat?  Either way, that should not have affected the ability to add points.  The next step I would normally do in debugging this would be to open the browser's developer tools  and see if there is an error being generated when you try to add a feature.

0 Kudos