SDE Connection File Creation in Pro

01-25-2017 08:30 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

In Pro I went to the project pane and then went to the Databases control where I right-clicked to create a New Database Connection.  This database connection (.sde file) was then copied into both the specific user local where SDE files are stored (C:\Users\"User Name"\AppData\Local\ESRI\Index\Connections) as well as the project location that was defined when creating the ArcGIS project.

If I perform this same process manually so I do not have to recreate the SDE connections, I do not see the database connection in the Project pane. Are there some additional behind the scenes operations occurring if I create the database connection in Pro as opposed copying an existing database connection file to the location that appears to be recognized by Pro?

The ability to copy existing sde connection files would be a time saver compared to creating these database connections in the new Pro projects that are created.

2 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

After copying the SDE connection file to the project location that was defined when creating the ArcGIS project --> Open the Project in ArcGIS Pro --> in the Project Pane, expand  Folders> Project Name --> You will see the connection files listed here --> Right Click on the connection file you need --> click on 'Add to Project' --> This will list the connection under Databases and you don't have to recreate them.

This is helpful because, you can dump all SDE Connection files on a shared folder(if needed) --> Each person can connect to this folder using the "Add Folder Connection" option --> Choose the connection they need and add to their project.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The enhancement already in the ESRI system covers this issue.

ENH-000101569   [Enhancement] Allow database connection files to be added directly into the ArcGIS Pro project folder

The problem with putting all SDE connections in a shared folder location is that the endusers would not necessarily know which connection to use and there are SDE connections for data editors that have enhanced editing privileges that should not be provided to anyone but the data editor.