Multi-Ring Buffer Topology Error

01-25-2017 11:10 AM
LindsayHunt
New Contributor

I am using the ArcGIS USA Major Roads file that is downloadable from the internet. I am trying to break down this large file into the different road types (field - RTTYP) identified in this file and export each type as a new file. Then use the multi ring buffer tool to buffer each roadtype. I have successfully done this for each road type except for M (common name roads) I can extract only these roads and export as new shapefile. However, when I go to try to use the multi-ring buffer tool it fails with this error message.

Executing: MultipleRingBuffer Export_Output_2 C:\Users\lhunt\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\Export_Output_2_MultipleRing 15;60;120;240 Meters distance ALL FULL
Start Time: Wed Jan 25 10:39:46 2017
Running script MultipleRingBuffer...
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
The table was not found.
The table was not found. [union]
The table was not found.
The table was not found. [union]
Invalid Topology [Incomplete void poly.]
Failed to execute (Union).

Completed script MultipleRingBuffer...
Failed to execute (MultipleRingBuffer).
Failed at Wed Jan 25 10:54:58 2017 (Elapsed Time: 15 minutes 12 seconds)

I have tried re-exporting it, checking geometry, fixing geometry, creating a geo-database and fixing topology with no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion/fix/idea? Thanks in advance. 

1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

there are a few warnings in the tool Multiple Ring Buffer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop make sure that your system has a temp folder if you don't define a scratch workspace and your input file needs a defined coordinate system, or the buffer distances are ignored...it seems you are buffering in meters, so I presume you are using a suitably projected coordinate system (?)

0 Kudos