How to use ArcGIS API for JavaScript to display Cityengine Web Scenes?

Jump to solution
01-10-2017 04:31 PM
RobertYu
New Contributor III

I am using version 4.2 of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript to display a .3ws exported from cityengine, but I have

not been successful.  Does the API only work with ArcGIS Pro/Map but not CityEngine?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Follow the steps listed here to create hosted scene layers Publish hosted scene layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Then you can add them directly to a new scene in ArcGIS Online and save the web scene there to load into your app. 

russell_roberts-esristaff‌ Can you comment if anything else needs to be done?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Correct. Web scenes created with CityEngine are not supported. ArcGIS Pro provides the simplest workflow for this.

If you are using CityEngine, however, what you can do is to republish the scene as a .slpk from CityEngine, and extract it to a scene layer on portal/AGO.

RobertYu
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I created a scene layer package file and

uploaded it

to Arcgis online. Can you point me to the next steps to creating the web

scene?

Thanks!

-Robert

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Follow the steps listed here to create hosted scene layers Publish hosted scene layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Then you can add them directly to a new scene in ArcGIS Online and save the web scene there to load into your app. 

russell_roberts-esristaff‌ Can you comment if anything else needs to be done?

RobertYu
New Contributor III

When I get to step #5, I do not see any checkbox for "Publish this file as a hosted layer".

Perhaps it's because I only have a public ArcGIS online account?

Update: That was it.  I started the 60 day trial, and I can see the checkbox now.

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Looks like you are all set for checking it out scene layers with your trial account. Let me know if you have any other questions.

0 Kudos
RobertYu
New Contributor III

Hello,

Is there a way to upload and create the hosted scene layer through the ArcGIS online API?

I would like to automate their creation.  I am looking here ArcGIS REST API but I don't see it.

Thanks!

-Robert 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You could try altering the script in this post and seeing if it will work with the publishing of scene layers from scene layer packages

Publish hosted tile layers—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

or you can use this Script with pro to package and upload the scene layer packages to AGOL.

https://community.esri.com/groups/3d-mapping/blog/2016/07/22/automate-scene-layer-package-spk-creati...