Slow loading google image basemaps in data frame

Jump to solution
01-06-2017 03:00 AM
SpencerSmith5
New Contributor

My company has all of our frames and files set up to use British National Grid as the projection. However, when adding in basemaps such as google imagery it becomes painfully slow and virtually unusable. After some tweaking I found that changing the data frames projection to "WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere" this solves the slow loading issue, it all becomes super quick. My question is, what knock on effect will this have if I start creating shape files and maps to this new projection? Will shape files I make in this new projection still work on my old files that used British National Grid? Is there anything else I should know?

Kind Regards,

Spencer

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Spencer,

Having all your data in the same projection will drastically increase your maps performance. But the fact that ArcMap has to re-project some of your shapefiles from BNG to WebMercator is not a big deal.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Spencer,

Having all your data in the same projection will drastically increase your maps performance. But the fact that ArcMap has to re-project some of your shapefiles from BNG to WebMercator is not a big deal.

SpencerSmith5
New Contributor

Thanks for the response, I am glad it will cause no other issue. 

From now on I will project all of my data in Web Mercator instead of BNG then. It does make me wonder why the basemaps are slow with BNG compared to WebMercator though...

0 Kudos