Set Mapscale like ArcMap from a dropdown

12-06-2016 03:16 PM
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor

dear Readers,

good afternoon.  We are implementing a web map solution and started with a ESRI suggested template from:

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?webmap=f5b13dbed07c46cdb783cf361833aa6b 

We made modifications to the template to point to the correct layers and it was working fine.  we were able to see our layers in the layer list, with appropriate base maps, legends and measure.

One of the users requested a dropdown where they could select pre-defined scales like 1:10,000, 1:100,000 like they are used to seeing in ArcMap.  I had mentioned in one of the meetings that it might not be possible in a straightforward way.

I am wondering whether there is a complicated way to implement it.

Further, in one of my previous ESRI demos, I remember the tech staff members requesting end users not to reproduce or try to imitate ArcMap features in JS or SL.  Any URL or best practices document that indicate the same will be beneficial.

regards

ravi.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ravi,

I do not work with that particular template, but what they are wanting is not to hard assuming that the scale is covered by one of the basemaps LODs. Remember that if a cached basemap is used then you can not just zoom to any scale you want as the map is confined to the cached map scales.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Robert,

Isn't there a notable exception *IF* (and only if) you're using vector basemaps? I thought those can actually scale between any ESRI/Google pre-defined LODs.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

Yes I believe that is the case but I have not used and probably will not use vector basemaps until the issue with printing vector basemaps is resolved.

0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor

Steve,

good morning. thanks for your comment. I have made note of it.

regards

ravi.

0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Robert for the quick reply. We have esri base map, NAIP 1 meter imagery, and other background layers cached at the same levels as ESRI base layers. there are some feature layers coming from a dynamic map service.

I am implementing a drop down using the same scale levels as ArcMap to get started.  since it is a JavaScript

Memory object, we can always change the scales.

regards

ravi.

0 Kudos