connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications software that is not supported

Jump to solution
11-21-2016 01:53 PM
AlexSainz
New Contributor III

I received the following error message when attempting to connect to a SQL Server 2008 database from ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1.

Error Message:

Unable to connect to database server to retrieve database list; please verify your server name, user name and password info and try again. Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications software that is not supported.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
7 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Alex,

Please review this Esri KnowledgeBase Article,

Error: Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications software t... 

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I haven't updated to 10.4.x yet, but I remember that 2008 was not on the list for supported SQL platforms.  How much this plays into connecting and read-only (vs trying to create) I do not know.

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.4.x—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

NOTE:   Even though Derek Law‌ 's link doesn't list/include 10.4.1, I just install the

Microsoft_SQL_Server_2012_SP3_Native_Client_64bit_149470  version of the client on my test 10.4.1 machine, and I was able to connect to what I believe is a SQL 2008 (SP4)  SDE database....other than drawing something quickly, I did not test any further.

...this is critical for me before I upgrade too. 

AlexSainz
New Contributor III

Thank you for your help Derek and Rebecca.

Rebecca - good luck on your upgrade.

0 Kudos
AlexSainz
New Contributor III

Derek and Rebecca,

When reviewing the technical requirements for ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.x I noticed that SQL Server 2008 was not on the list of supported SQL platforms - Rebecca pointed this out as well. Thank you to Derek for providing the KB article to verify this information. I installed SQL Server 2012 Native Client on a test machine and was able to add a connection to a SQL Server 2008 R2 database.

Hopefully this will help someone else in a similar situation. Our organization is currently in the process of modernizing many of our enterprise applications to the most current version possible. SQL Server is likely next as we migrate away from SQL Server 2008 R2.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Highlight v10.4 vs. 10.4.1

Editing issues upgrading from 10.3.1 to v10.4.x prompted this upgrade workflow:

• Upgrade SQL Server from 2008 R2 to 2014 SP 2

• ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.x and 10.4 clients
    Continue using the Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 2012
    Or, if they have trouble connecting
    Need to install the Microsoft ODBC Driver v11

• ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1 clients
    Need to install the Microsoft ODBC Driver v13

-Bill

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Additional upgrade info about ArcGIS & SQL Server compatibility levels:

https://community.esri.com/message/647666-re-arcsde-sql-server-compatibility-level?commentID=647666#... 

pml