Performance problems with 20.000 Points

11-10-2016 04:18 AM
DavidGruber
New Contributor

Hello Everybody,

I have to display many points on a map and I wanted to use the ArcGIS Javascript API (v4.1) for this job because I want to change some basemaps and I think it will be suited best for this job.
If you click on the link you can see that it takes really long to load up all the points on the map.

ArcGIS v4.1 20.000 Points Test

I created the same map in google maps to get a performance comparison:

Google Maps API 20.000 Points Test

It is way faster than ArcGIS but I am limited to Google Maps which is not acceptable in my case.

(You can see the used Javascript code in both cases in the source code of the site, but if you need it here, let me know)

I found some ways to achieve better performance: 

Clustering! But I couldn't find any documentation on how to cluster in API 4.0 or 4.1 ... just an example in the old API docs (3.18)

Then the next question:

I have to create lines between some of the points (up to 100 connected points in several paths) 

Is it still possible to cluster those and disable the clustering at a vertain zoom level?

I hope some of you can help me

Best regards

David

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS API 4.X does not yet have all of the features from 3.X implemented.

Besides Google and ArcGIS, there is also Leaflet, which does support clustering and basemaps from various providers. (I don't know how it performs with 20,000 features vs its alternatives, though. You would need to either test that yourself or search the web to see if someone else has done a performance test.)

FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

I also like the Leaflet option.  The marker clustering plugin is very easy to use (GitHub - Leaflet/Leaflet.markercluster: Marker Clustering plugin for Leaflet ) and you can use ArcGIS services if you integrate the Esri plugin (GitHub - Esri/esri-leaflet: A lightweight set of tools for working with ArcGIS services in Leaflet. )

0 Kudos