Dron2Map use - nothing loading

10-04-2016 07:50 AM
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Suggestions?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both C++ and the Drone2Map 1.01 version several times without success

Using the ESRI supplied imagery sample >> Launch Drone2Map >> Create new 2D Project.

Add the folder that contains the images..

Press OK

And NOTHING shows up:

following this sample as well:  

Create 3D data from 2D imagery—Get Started with Drone2Map for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
22 Replies
MichaelRobb

The Process runs and in a few seconds it says 100% and "Complete".  and  nothing happens. - 

I have at least verified this is machine specific.  But does anyone know the cause?  We need this running unfortunately, on the machine that Drone2Map does not work on.

Also to note, if we unselect just one of the images in Image Property and attempt to run, we encounter a fatal crash.

RenatoSalvaleon

So my first test on D2M 1.0.1 was using a Windows 10 test build (our company is not in production Win10 yet) and I have the same behavior that you have. In my case when I click OK on the error message, D2m crashed.

I went back to my production Windows 7 machine and this error does not happen anymore and I can process an inspection project now.

I know this may not determine the root cause but I'll try the other suggestions from @Michael Robb and @JamesTaylor, at some point on the Windos10 machine.  Meanwhile, I need to do more tests that work on the Windows 7 machine, since Windows 10 will not affect us at this time.

0 Kudos
RenatoSalvaleon

After a successful Inspection project, I moved to a Mapping project and now I'm getting the same error message you have on Windows 7 and when I click OK D2M crashed. Its time to try the suggestions.

0 Kudos
RenatoSalvaleon

Nothing works for me now. I had one lucky shot on creating an inspection project and now I cannot repeat it any more on either the Windows 7 or Windows 10 machines that I use. Also why does D2M crash every time that error message comes out? D2M crashes when a network folder path is used for the Project Folder, after the Create button is clicked.  At this point I have nothing to test unless I try it on another computer. It seems to me D2M is not ready for prime time. I had more success with its Beta version. 

0 Kudos
JamesTaylor3
Occasional Contributor

Renato,

Sorry for the problems you are experiencing.  The errors you are seeing that "crash" the app are "unhandled" error, in other words errors we weren't expecting to get, so the app closes after reporting them to the user. A lot of new functionality was added to the 1.0 release so there is more happening than in the Beta release.

I will test using a UNC Path for the project.  I'm not sure it is supported in version 1.0.

As for not being able to run processing, if you can send me a couple of log files I can diagnose this for you. 

1. Edit %LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\ArcGIS\Drone2Map\Bin\data\config\log.json
  2. Change the logLevel to "debug"
  3. Start D2M, open the project and run processing
  4. Send me %LOCALAPPDATA%\Drone2Map\log\d2m.log
  5. Send me the most recent "C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Drone2Map Projects\<project>\process\logs\Process_<timestamp>.log"

Thanks,

jt

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

If anyone comes across the one issue of 'nothing' being visible in Project Data (Flight Path and Images - points) then..

it is due to having HTTPS only enabled in the portal / AGOL.  This must not be checked (enabled).

As far as the crash and not being able to process ... is still an ongoing battle.

0 Kudos
JamesTaylor3
Occasional Contributor

Yes Drone2Map 1.01 doesn't not load correctly when the Organization is set to HTTPS only, this has been fixed in Version 1.1

As far as the processing failing it could be one of two things:

1. You need a specific version of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable: Version 9.0.30729.6161 

It can be downloaded here:  Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update from O... 

2. Does the machine that is failing have a NVIDIA GPU?  We have had problems with some machine trying to use this GPU? I think it's a driver issue. We have added an option to Version 1.1 to disable use of the GPU for debugging cases like this.  You may be able to disable the GPU or change drivers to see if this helps.

If you can send me a couple of log files in a message I can diagnose this for you.

1. Edit %LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\ArcGIS\Drone2Map\Bin\data\config\log.json
  2. Change the logLevel to "debug"
  3. Start D2M, open the project and run processing
  4. Send me %LOCALAPPDATA%\Drone2Map\log\d2m.log
  5. Send me the most recent "C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Drone2Map Projects\<project>\process\logs\Process_<timestamp>.log"
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

Hi James,

Thanks for the response.

Our security team requires us to have HTTPS only on our AGOL environment, so that alone is causing us to do in house work to upgrade our Portal from 10.4 to 10.4.1, but its a ton more work than if this just worked with HTTPS.

Is there a date slated for the 1.1 release?

Next...

Based on the dialog box during the first installation attempt, we did fetch out the C++ Version 9.0.30729.6161.

This has been installed (uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times based on other posts - of course, did not solve the issue)

The next question,

Disabling the GeForce card had no change...

Ran the Process and it says complete after about 10 seconds.

Email to send logs to?

The process_timestamp log is 'empty'.

And the D2M.log has alot of this:

Cannot find 2d products for project. Directory does not exist

and

calibrated_external_camera_parameters.txt. File does not exist

Also, it is a separate issue that when some images are unselected, that the program crashes.

Im still trying to get the Processor to complete and add images orthomosaic.

0 Kudos
JamesTaylor3
Occasional Contributor

Michael, 

I'm fairly positive that the problem is the GPU.  For some reason just disabling it in the OS doesn't fix the problem.  Our software still detects and tries to use the GPU, we have to tell it specifically not to use the GPU via the option we added in version 1.1.  Unfortunately you will need to wait until 1.1 is released to resolve both of these issues.  I'm not sure about the release plans for 1.1 but I think it's around the end of the year.

JT Taylor 

0 Kudos