Why does a Join in ArcMap fail with the same two files in ArcGIS Pro

07-12-2016 12:08 PM
RobertRose
New Contributor III

I am trying to join an excel table to a Feature Class.  The join works fine in ArcMap but when I try the same join with the same two files in ArcGIS Pro, the join does not seem to work.  Basically it looks like all the joined fields are Null, indicating that no matches between the two files were found. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are both fields of the same data type? numbers to numbers (right-justified) or text to text (left-justified)

0 Kudos
RobertRose
New Contributor III

They are both text fields although I am not certain how to check justification. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

in an Arc* table, it will show up obviously as either being to the left or right of the cell and of course, you can check the field properties to confirm.  In excel, never trust anything since you can put any type of data in a column and numbers can become text when a column is formatted as such.  It is best in excell to highlight the column and right-click (or something) to bring up the column properties, then check around for the column data type... if it is numeric, then it should be set to an integer number format (ie no decimalss)

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Try shutting down and then reopening ArcGIS Pro and then trying the join

again (worked for me a few months back with Pro 1.2). Although probably not

what you are looking for, you can try running the Excel to Table

geoprocessing tool and then the join.

0 Kudos
SarahAcMoody
New Contributor III

I too am having this issue. The join (Excel table to gdb feature class) works just fine in ArcMap and the join is "Successful" in ArcGIS Pro, but once joined, the joined table has all Nulls.  All the obvious issues have been checked, double checked and tripled checked.  I am still at Pro 1.2 and am wondering if it's still an issue with joining to Excel tables. My original table was an *.xls, but I also tried it with a *.xlsx with the same results.

My work-around for now is converting the excel spreadsheet to a gdb table as suggested above. That worked fine, but is not ideal for my workflow.  If anyone has experienced this and has a solution or perhaps can pin it down to a Pro version issue, that would be great. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could have been an issue, but I suspect you would have to see the release notes for each subsequent version to see if it was indeed an identified bug or not.  I suspect if it was a bug, there would be a notice sometime between 1.2 and 1.4.1, otherwise, it may reside in the nature and contents of your data as suggested in my previous post.

0 Kudos
SarahAcMoody
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan.  I don't believe it's the nature or contents of my data, although I may do some additional testing with simple datasets. The join works in ArcMap and all validation warnings have been cleaned up. I will investigate the release notes! 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Robert - I found a BUG logged that seems very close to what you're experiencing - BUG-000101179

It was discovered in 1.3.1 and is still open at 1.4.1.  I don't know if it will be resolved at 2.0 Pro.

0 Kudos
SarahAcMoody
New Contributor III

I think this is it! Thanks Robert. I will have to investigate the definition of  "regional characters", but this is exactly what is happening with my join.  This is also the workaround I utilized. Thanks so much for sharing this!  It's much appreciated.