Can I get a feature layer to progressively display within a map tour?

Jump to solution
07-07-2016 07:35 AM
deleted-user-yUw6wWKCYBY0
New Contributor III

I have a web mapping application that uses the map tour story map template. This tour uses a web map which contains a feature layer. The feature layer has a date attribute and also a sequence attribute i.e. 'sequence' = '1', '2', '3' etc. The tour contains several tour points which take the viewer to different locations as they click through the thumbnail carousel at the bottom of the map. The question is:

Is there any way that I can get my feature layer to display one section at a time, as the viewer clicks through the map tour points? The feature layer is a line which represents a journey, and ideally it would display one line feature at a time in sync with the map tour points. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

This could I think be done via customization of the code but I don't know enough about that coding to know how much work would be involved. I've not seen an example of that being done. It sounds like it would be a cool effect and it might be an enhancement we could provide because it would be neat for the route of the tour to appear as your users step through, rather than them seeing the whole route up front.

Another option would be to use the Story Map Journal: each section in your journal could reveal a separate part of the route. You could do that now using the ability in Story Map Journal to turn specific layers in a web map on or off when the map is displayed in the section. You could make each part of your route be a separate layer and then just turn them on in succession in the various sections. If you try that out, post the result because it would be cool to see. I can't think of an example of that being done in a Map Journal, so if anyone else has tried it, please post here.

Rupert

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

This could I think be done via customization of the code but I don't know enough about that coding to know how much work would be involved. I've not seen an example of that being done. It sounds like it would be a cool effect and it might be an enhancement we could provide because it would be neat for the route of the tour to appear as your users step through, rather than them seeing the whole route up front.

Another option would be to use the Story Map Journal: each section in your journal could reveal a separate part of the route. You could do that now using the ability in Story Map Journal to turn specific layers in a web map on or off when the map is displayed in the section. You could make each part of your route be a separate layer and then just turn them on in succession in the various sections. If you try that out, post the result because it would be cool to see. I can't think of an example of that being done in a Map Journal, so if anyone else has tried it, please post here.

Rupert