Adding CSV file with data and picture to create story map?

06-09-2016 11:37 AM
EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

I am creating a story map and I saw the option for adding a CSV file which has all the data

however I got this error:

From this, I see that it is possible to add a field which will contain the photo for each point location? How can I do that inside a CSV file? Is it some sort of a link? The photos are stored in a folder in my computer.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

The pic_url field in the CSV file must contain the location of the picture.  This location path or URL must be accessible to the storymap. You should be able to use any public URL, which can be any location from your own Web server to a Google Drive image link or a file on your AGO content.

EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

I tried using this link

Using photos stored in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog

to see how I can get the URL but no URL shows up when I add the image. I can only share within my organization. Is this the reason why no URL shows up? Do I need to ask the administrator of the account to changed it to public?

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Eninna,

Take a look at this:

Adding and using photos and images in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog

Note that the image file item must be shared publicly to obtain the URL for the image

As for the other fields that you received in error, the field names must match the expected field names (using the sample CSV file is a good idea and just keep the field names the same).

EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

Thanks. it doesn't show me the option to share publicly... do I need to tell the administrator to change it to public?

0 Kudos
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

Is this what you want? http://arcg.is/1OovGfc

According to the AGO documentation you'll need an organisational account to be able to upload photos (Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS )

Your CSV file headers is clearly defined in the import error message you got and must look like this:

namedescriptionicon_colorlonglatpic_urlthumb_urlis_video

For my example, I just used a photo that is accessible on our Web Server.  Then I configured the popup to use a custom attribute display.  Then I used the HTML editor to define the popup content.  What is great about this is that you can use the CSV field names as inline variables.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Eninna,

If using stored photos on AGOL is becoming cumbersome, could you use an outside photo service to host your photos? I personally use Flickr since it gives you a ton of space (1 terrabye) and it's free and easily embeds into ArcGIS Online.

EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

I am creating this map for an organization. Would I need to give them a link to the Flickr account which is hosting the images? It seems I need to use my Yahoo email. What happens if my Yahoo email gets closed for some reason? The reason I am asking is because I am wondering if issues could come up in the future which I could have no control and since the final product will be used by another entity (the organization), and not me.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Eninna,

You would need to give the organization the link to any photo that is stored outside of their grasp. So, yes, they would need the Flickr photo link. Flickr does use Yahoo, but you can always have your Yahoo correspondence forwarded to your main mail carrier. Therefore, if you log into Yahoo/Flickr once every 5 years of so, your account shouldn't get closed. I have one Flickr account that I haven't touched in 9 years and is still there.

Make sure your backup email for Yahoo goes to a main one (for password recovery, etc.).

0 Kudos