python 2.7 countdown...

05-27-2016 05:58 AM
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What packages will stop supporting 2.7 Don't panic, ArcMap will still be using it... at least for 10.7

Numpy/Scipy drops support of python 2.7 Dec 31, 2018 get your code ready

Guido speaks 2020 is the big end   The BDFL, Guido speaks at PyCon 2016 about python 2.7

Announcement         Overview — Python 3.7.0a0 documentation   yes... 3.7 is on its way

Announcement         What’s New In Python 3.6 — Python 3.6.0b2 documentation   final release candidate

iPad and iThings         Python 3.5 comes to iThings  don't get further behind...

Additional                        The key differences between python 2 and 3

Some frivolity ... but some resources

Python 2.7 Countdown

do check the resources section.

also, here Coming to Python.... preparation and anticipation

11 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I need to make my own retirement count-down webpage.  If all goes well it'll be about the same as v2 python....  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

me too... but sadly, I have to teach 3.4 ... for the most part 2to3 fixes stuff and print("is your friend") and print "is old school"

0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III

Most of my code is still in Python 2.7 as I'm still using ArcGIS 10.3 I'll have to convert a substantial amount of code once I start using Python 3.4

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Peter

lots of resources here  Coming to Python.... preparation and anticipation

and The ...py... links

2to3.py will give you a heads up

print is the big one

everything is now unicode (time to learn format mini-language)

range instead of xrange

iterators changed a bit

check py...links for others

0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Dan

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do note, the python 3.5 comes to the iThings link, for those getting farther behind.  Who needs a story map on your iPhone when you can have an interpolated 3D surface from matplotlib...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What’s New In Python 3.7 — Python 3.8.0a3 documentation python 3.8 development.. ns timing and time

3.7.3 Documentation latest stable

What’s New In Python 3.7 — Python 3.7.3 documentation then you can scroll back in time

0 Kudos