Super noob please help Concepts within GIS

05-24-2016 05:08 AM
NGISGIS
New Contributor

So recently i have begun undertaking GIS modules using ArcGIS at my local College and i have some question my supervisor cannot answer clearly:

What software tools might be used in data editing? and what Software would be used in digitizing and scanning (would this be For e.g ArcGIS)?

Finally to what extent does Geographical Information Systems both reinforce and undermine the principle of freedom of information?

I've tried searching the web for hours but to no avail. it is as if the questions are so simple that they are overlooked

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

You could start with the help files or the tutorials.

ArcGIS tutorials—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Obviously ArcGIS is a big system, but you can do just about anything with spatial data.

The answer to this "both reinforce and undermine the principle of freedom of information?"

probably lies with your own perspective.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You may want to look at What is editing?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

don't overlook using the browser search...I searched for "what is arcgis editing"   The browser search is a powerful tool and will bring up links to arcgis help, geonet, stackexchange, etc.  I typically include the word "arcgis" or "arcpy" or "arcgis python" and whatever else seems relevant and go from there.

And I agree with Neil, I think you supervisor/professor is trying for you to think about "both reinforce and undermine the principle of freedom of information?"  and not just find a resource on the web.  Think about any news, weather, tv-show (although not always true-to-life...yet), a cars-navigation, or just about anything else you watch/hear....how many of them have maps and/or location information.  Think about the impact on everyone's life...then answer it.  That is only my opinion....what your supervisor/professor is asking may not be that...but that is how I would interpret the question.

edit...another link   Editing | ArcGIS Resource Center

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

"both reinforce and undermine the principle of freedom of information?"

An answer showing thought would best... web references alone would be the worst.. but you aren't in my class

GavinMayeda
Occasional Contributor II

The question of reinforcing and/or undermining the principle of Freedom of Information depends wholly on what your data is depicting.  If your data/map/application is simply providing information regarding public parks, utilities, etc. there is very little to mask in the way of information.  On the other hand, if your data/map/application is dealing directly with personal information or data that could be considered 'sensitive' in a security perspective that is a completely different matter all together.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

but given the prevalence of georeferenced on-street or in-park public cameras, the issue takes on a different tone

0 Kudos
GavinMayeda
Occasional Contributor II

Dan, your maps or applications will only provide the data that you put in to them.  The maps do not automatically connect to CCTV or surveillance systems.  Links like you are describing would have to be input by you (the author) of the map or application, and you have the ability to turn them on/off, set rights as to 'who' can access your maps or applications.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

playing devil's advocate... what about a live stream or the person running the application thinks that there is no problem doing this?  As you can tell, for most things there will be a counter point... which is better than a whole load of web links, which was my point initially. Enjoy your studies and don't forget to think outside the box ... yours and your instructors

0 Kudos