How can I create multiple shape files from a single multipoint shape file?

Jump to solution
05-20-2016 10:18 AM
KarlChristensen1
New Contributor

I am trying to run the TauDEM tools on multiple points that are saved in a single shapefile. I am trying to write a script that will separate the original multipoint file into multiple shape files that can be passed through TauDEM and with multiple outputs.  I do NOT want to convert my multipoint shapefile into one single point shapefile.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you just have multiple points (ie one record in the table for each point) you are ready to go. 

If you have a multipoint shapefile (there is a difference) then you need to use the MultipartToSinglePart tool first.

Next, unzip the toolbox and its scripts in a folder, start arctoolbox, and add the toolbox, then run the tool

I will do the rest for you, just specify the FID field as the field to split on so that each pont becomes its own shapefile

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well if you did do the conversion the multipoints to single points you could then use http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=15ca63aebb4647a4b07bc94f3d051da5

to produce the individual shapefiles using the FID as the split key.

KarlChristensen1
New Contributor

I am still new to ArcGIS, but I am trying to understand terms. Am I correct to say that I want to carry all of the attributes of each point over into the next shape file? If that is the case, what do I call each point that I am trying to split?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you just have multiple points (ie one record in the table for each point) you are ready to go. 

If you have a multipoint shapefile (there is a difference) then you need to use the MultipartToSinglePart tool first.

Next, unzip the toolbox and its scripts in a folder, start arctoolbox, and add the toolbox, then run the tool

I will do the rest for you, just specify the FID field as the field to split on so that each pont becomes its own shapefile

KarlChristensen1
New Contributor

That did it! I still want to study your code to see how it works, but it's solved the problem.  Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

keep your eyes on the site, I am finishing newer versions which are faster with more options and useable in 10.3 and 10.4 and ArcGIS PRO

0 Kudos