Config Web map layer thru URL

05-19-2016 12:11 PM
JosephCartier
New Contributor

I'm trying to add a Web Server layer to use as my points instead of a csv file.  Is this possible?  In the html file there is an Option to force a web map layer, but I'm not able to write the code for the html file to use the web map layer.

// Optionally force a web map layer to be used as the tour points data source (can be overridden through URL)

// Otherwise the upper visible point layer is used (excluding map notes)

sourceLayerTitle: "",

any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

JoeC

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

What story map are you using? Are you trying to use the out-of-the-box functionality (to where you load in CSV files) or did you download the configuration package from GitHub? Do you currently have a web map that you want to be displayed as your story map?

0 Kudos
JosephCartier
New Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I am currently using a downloaded version of Story Map.  I have the story map running perfectly using a csv file but I would like to add a map service layer to my ArcGIS online map.  The service adds fine but the Story Map template does not import the file properly.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Joe,

Which story map are you using? The behavior you're seeing is likely the intended behavior. You can have layers that show up in the back (on your web map), but for the "story" part of it, that will need to be a CSV.

0 Kudos
JosephCartier
New Contributor

Adrian,

I am using Story Map Tour.  I am hoping to create a service for the Point Features without using a CSV.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Joe, as far as I understand it, you can only use a CSV for the point features of the tour itself. This is true for the out-of-the-box application. Though, for custom programming, I am still not sure you can use a feature service (I tried this about a year ago and was not able to do this).

Tagging Owen Evans​ to see if there is more that can be done.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Joe,

Map Tour always uses a feature service for the tour points, but that service needs to follow the map tour schema and have specific fields that are present to provide the required information to the app.

If you go to the in-app Help (a button in the header), then to the Data tab, and scroll down to the section Using an existing Feature Service or Shapefile you'll find information about using existing services for a map tour.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps