Error Message - trying to join table

05-17-2016 09:44 PM
HelenWillis
New Contributor

I am trying to join an excel table to a layer file and get a message - Failed to connect to database. the user and/or password is invalid.  Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.

I am on 10.2.2 - table is an .xls table.

I have tried a new .mxd, altenate tables, saved the table to the local drive - all produce the same error message.

This was working on Friday afternoon and Monday - not working 😞

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The most common issue here has to do with the naming of the Excel file, and your field names.

• File names, avoid spaces and always start with a letter.
  • Field names should start with a letter and contain ONLY alphanumeric characters (plus _). From years of painful experience, I also recommend that you keep them short (10 characters maximum).

How To Name Things In ArcGIS

HelenWillis
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply Curtis.

All field names are alpha, no more than 10, only have '_', no spaces.

This error is happening with any excel table.  I can't join anything !!

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have an .xlsx file you want to use in ArcGIS but do not have Excel 2007 installed, you will need to install the 2007 Office System Driver. It can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center. If you have Microsoft Excel 2010 or no version of Microsoft Excel installed, you must install the 2007 driver before you can use either .xls or .xlsx files.

Understanding how to use Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you can open the table in ArcMap, but can't join, you may want to use the Copy Rows tool to copy the Excel data to a file geodatabase (this will give it an OBJECTID field). Then try joining to the gdb table.

I generally breathe easier when I get data tables out of excel and into a database of any flavor.

HelenWillis
New Contributor

ok - I will try and copy.

I can't even open the tables - the error pops up when I try to add to the .mxd.

I can open the .xls in excel without any problems.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried Resetting your ArcGIS application profile​  --  this often helps when things simply stop working right....

0 Kudos
HelenWillis
New Contributor

Thanks for your advice Curtis.  I have copied the table into the geodatabase and have had success.  I didn't even think to do that!!

I have also put in a call to my IT people to reset my application profile.  Everything is locked down where I work.

Again - thank you.  🙂

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Everything is locked down where I work.

Me too.

Your app profile is in your own user %APPDATA% folder - you own that folder so you can do it yourself.

See the article I wrote for more details.

0 Kudos
HelenWillis
New Contributor

I did this reset - individual and then complete - this did not do the trick with the error.  😞

Importing the table has helped me out for the time being.

Thank you for your time.  🙂

0 Kudos