Add a shapefile to a web map in arcgis online

05-11-2016 11:39 AM
braulioubilla
New Contributor III

I imported a shapefile from my pc to argis online, but when i open my web map (from argis online) i cant import my imported shapefile!

in my content i can see my imported shapefile,  but when i go to add layer i cant find it.

tks a lot!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is everything in the same coordinate system?

0 Kudos
braulioubilla
New Contributor III

yes,

i cant see anything placed in my content with "shapefile" format,

i can see files with "shapefile features"  format in other users but i cant upload files with

this format, only in "shapefile" format!

rights problems perhaps?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you add it as a zip? Shapefiles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
braulioubilla
New Contributor III

yes, i upload it as a zip file because i cant add it directly  to my map because it has more

than 1000 entity, so i upload as shapefield and then try to add to my webmap

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

make sure it has a *.prj file and check the limitations and best practices section.  If the file is too large, complex or contains certain types of features you may not be able to use it without further work

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Braulio,

Have you published your shapefile as a hosted feature service? In order to view the data from your shape file, it will need to be converted into a format that the web map can read. To do this, you can publish a hosted feature service if you have an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account. If you are using a public account, then you can add a shapefile with less than 1000 features directly to the web map. This will store the features in the web map.

-Kelly

braulioubilla
New Contributor III

kelly, tks a lot for your explanation and sorry coz my english is not so good

i have some questions,

- you said that i cant add a shape to my web map because its is not a "feature shape" and only if you have an Organizations account you can do this, so, why you can upload a "shapefile" if you cant add it, this shapefile is useful for what?

- how did you count "1000 features", they are rows, columns in shape? dont you think its a very hard limitation?

you cant add a blocks shapes because you always exceed this limit for example! i live in a small town and i cant upload a block layer.

once again its a pity this limitations, its too hard and turn useless this wonderful product, you always excedd this limit!

tks a lot!

braulio

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Braulio,

Is it possible for you to share your shapefile here?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Braulio,

Each feature is a row in the shapefile. If you exceed 1000 rows, then you will need to be able to publish a feature service, which requires an organizational account. If you don't have an organization account, you can sign up for a free 60 day trial or a developers trial account to try out this functionality. How many features are in your shapefile?

If you are uploading a shapefile and storing it as content in ArcGIS Online, you can share the shapefile for others to download and use. Although this wouldn't be used as a web layer, users could use the shapefile in other software products while using ArcGIS Online to share the content.

-Kelly