Geo Database size problem

04-19-2016 09:59 AM
RandyBonds_Jr_
Occasional Contributor

I have a mssql express Geo Database that regularly increases to the 10gb limit. It is a versioned db that the JS api writes constant edits to.

When I export it to a file geodb, it is only 25mb...

Has anyone experienced this? and know how to fix it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Which file is getting to the 10GB limit? The .mdf or .ldf.

Have you run a reconcile/post and compress on it lately? I wonder if there are old edits that need to be flushed out. When you export that versions data you are only grabbing the most current state.

How often are edits made to the GDB by your JS api? Are there lots of edits being made at once?

Take a look at the help documentation for the compress: Maintain desktop and workgroup geodatabase performance—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

I would run a compress and then preview the start and end count from the table and let us know what they are.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RandyBonds_Jr_
Occasional Contributor

It's the mdf, the ldf is good, and cleans as it should with backup.

We get edits constantly from 10-15 different sources (it's a single web page that posts to a REST FeatureService). The application is to track transit ridership, so every stop on every route all day long. The code is here: GitHub - randybondsjr/transit-ridership: Transit Ridership Application for use with ArcGIS Server

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would try the compress first to see if that helps with the size. Then try the Shrink option outlined in the above help doc. That should release any "free space" from the .mdf file.

All this can be done from ArcCatalog.

--- George T.
RandyBonds_Jr_
Occasional Contributor

It looks like it was a misplaced section of code that was creating a new FeatureLayer object for every edit, rather than just once when the page is loaded. Time will tell, but I'm fairly sure this was it.

0 Kudos