Select to view content in your preferred language

Layers

03-30-2016 02:52 PM
EdwardWelsh
New Contributor

When I create a layer from a selected features, the data in the new layer populates my map but a few minutes later when I come back to it some of the data fields have disappeared and other data field from the original layer are populated in the new layer. I have done it several times and the data keeps getting messed up.  WHAT GIVES?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what software are you using?

what is the source of the data? (local, web served etc)

type of the data?

Are any of the fields being subject to calculation?

0 Kudos
JeffWard
Honored Contributor

My advice is never use the "Create Layer From Selected Features" option.  It is really just a pointer to the whole dataset.  It's easier to export the selected features to their own layer, that way you always have it.  File storage is cheap and you cna then have a permanent copy instead of a selection set of the whole dataset.

We had an employee that used selection layers all of the time and now her maps are worthless to the person who took her place.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Edward,

I agree with Jeff on never using the "Create Layer From Selected Features" option since things rarely go well with it. Jeff lists some good alternatives. You could also look into creating a definition query to just show the data that you want to show from that particular dataset.

Displaying a subset of features in a layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop