Does indexing help the Query widget?

03-04-2016 08:13 AM
JessicaGormont
New Contributor II

We are just creating our first webmap for the public and would like people to be able to search their address using our data rather than the Base Map. Since we are a County office, the address layer includes over 25,000 records. The Query widget does work on this layer, but often freezes up or stops providing the drop down of the results (see photo). Since this is for the public and most people who use the internet assume the site is broken if a search doesn't work instantly, we would love to find a way to get the Query widget to work every time.

My main question is, would indexing the address field help at all? The address layer is edited quite often and everything I've found says you shouldn't index a field that is edited a lot, because it will slow down the editing process, which we would like to avoid. But we really need to find a way to make the Query work every time. Would indexing actually help in this case? Does this even sound like the problem is caused by the size of the layer or do you think it might be a network issue?

Please note: I don't know coding at all, really. So coding suggestions, unless worded for true beginners, probably won't help much, sorry.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jessica,

Does that drop down list in the Query widget have all 25000 options?

0 Kudos
JessicaGormont
New Contributor II

As you start typing, the list appears with all the records that match what you have written so far. So some of the lists are quite long, though they get shorter with every letter or number you add. It's not really a manual "click for a drop down" menu.

3-4-2016 11-09-33 AM.jpg

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jessica,

So if you click the dropdown list and all 25000 option are listed there then that is your performance issue. Though a dojo FilteringSelect dijit can handle 25,000 items it will not perform very well. Setting the query widget to unique for 25,000 possibilities is not advisable. To answer your original question, No indexing will not help as the issue is on the client side of rendering/working with 25,000 records.

0 Kudos
JessicaGormont
New Contributor II

Oh darn, I thought that might be the case. Thanks for your help! I will try to figure something else out.

0 Kudos