Is there a way to list database users?

Jump to solution
02-26-2016 01:24 PM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using Arc 10.3.1, SQL Server 2012, Windows Server 2012.  Is there a way using ArcCatalog administrative tools to list the database users and privileges that have been added, not just the active connections?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SamuelTompsett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Paul,

The behavior you are seeing is expected. The privileges dialog in ArcCatalog/ArcMap is for granting users privileges to edit the feature class/table. You cant grant database level permissions from ArcGIS for Desktop. You only have access to object level privileges.

In order for a user to create new feature classes you would have to grant the following:

Create Table

Create Procedure

Create View

That can be done in SQL Server Management Studio. Right click the database > Properties > Permissions.

Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Hopefully that helps.

Sam

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SamuelTompsett

Hi Paul,

Are you looking for object level privileges from Feature Classes and Feature Datasets? If so, you can access the privilege dialog through right click > manage > privileges. This will list all the database users that have Select, Insert, Update and Delete on that object.

However, for database level permissions, like CREATE TABLE, that wouldn't be accessible from ArcCatalog out of the box. The only thing you could do is create a database view from ArcCatalog or RDBMS side that would show you that information. My other question for you is what do you plan on doing with the database permissions from ArcCatalog, just view them?

Hopefully that helps.

-Sam

PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

right click > manage > privileges only seems to work for me for items within a database, not for the whole database.  When I right click on a database, I get  Administration, not manage. 

I need to be able to grant one of my users the ability to create  new feature classes in this data base. For feature datasets, I was able to grant him Select, Insert, Update, and Delete,  but it doesn't seen to be enough.

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett

Hi Paul,

The behavior you are seeing is expected. The privileges dialog in ArcCatalog/ArcMap is for granting users privileges to edit the feature class/table. You cant grant database level permissions from ArcGIS for Desktop. You only have access to object level privileges.

In order for a user to create new feature classes you would have to grant the following:

Create Table

Create Procedure

Create View

That can be done in SQL Server Management Studio. Right click the database > Properties > Permissions.

Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Hopefully that helps.

Sam