Running ArcHydroTools in python- and can I avoid using the temp folder?

11-04-2015 01:12 PM
Labels (1)
AmyConley
New Contributor

I have been having a devil of a time trying to run catchment delineation for 687 sub_watersheds (HUC 12s)  using Arc Hydro in Python. The DEM and stream features for each sub_watershed are in their own seperate geodatabases, and ideally I could write a script that would loop through each geodatabase, and construct the catchments.

However, the program doesn't seem to want to run in Python. I set the pth, it imports ArcHydroTools fine, but I'm clearly missing something (not surprising given the almost complete lack of documentation on the necessary parameters for the python commands). Anyway, in python (specifically Python 2.7 run on Spyder out of the Anaconda package) I can't get the ArcHydroTools functions to run properly. Each time I try to run a tool, it tells me I need to set the geoprocessing workspace. I do, and re-rerun the tool.... and it tells me I need to set the processioning workspace.

"ExecuteError: You need to set either the geoprocessing Workspace or the Arc Hydro Raster Location before running the tool.

Failed to execute (DEMReconditioning)."

Is there a special way I should set the workspace other than arcpy.env.workspace command? 

And how do I make sure that my results end up in the geodatabases I want, and not in the temporary folder? When I tried to first get everything running in ArcMap, I would get the tool to run, and then my flow direction raster would disappear if I closed and re-opened the map. Is there a way to stop Arc Hydro from sticking stuff in that obscure temp folder? Who wants their stuff in there? I tried setting target locations, but I still see intermediate layers being saved to the temporary folder. I would like more control over where this stuff is going.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

have you tried your workflow on a computer with a standard ArcGIS installation of python?  It may be your python setup given your use of Anaconda

0 Kudos