Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding To and From ID's to a Line Feature Class from a Point Feature Class

11-11-2015 02:54 PM
Labels (1)
AnnMarie_Bergmann
Deactivated User

I have lines representing drainage structures digitized from upstream to downstream and points at each end of the structures. The point is snapped to the end of each polyline. Is there a way for me to add the from and to point IDs (I have assigned unique ID's to each point) from the point feature class to the line feature class that it is snapped to? I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well you could at least add the attributes of the start and end points of the lines using

Add Geometry Attributes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

then a spatial join, might be good methods to co-locate the data

0 Kudos
AnnMarie_Bergmann
Deactivated User

That would work except I have one point connected to multiple pipes. So one point could represent both upstream and downstream depending on the pipe it's connected to.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it depends on which way you do the join, point to polylines  or polylines to point with a spatial join.  There are also several options to control how is is done, which geometries are replicated and what attributes are kept. Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

sometimes you need to combine spatial joins with attribute joins to get the data in the format you want....barring that, it is code time, but invest in the tools that are available, since your situation is not unique I am sure of that.

PS  I didn't look at linear referencing tools and I can't remember offhand whether there may be something useful there.

0 Kudos