Anybody doing server-side processing with the javascript api and vb.net?

10-28-2015 02:32 PM
JohnBarnes
New Contributor

Anybody doing server-side processing with the javascript api and vb.net?

Can you point me in a direction to get started?

jb

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

JB,

What exactly do you mean by server-side processing? I call .net restfull web services all the time from JS that return data.

0 Kudos
TyroneBiggums
Occasional Contributor III

What specific questions do you have? What do you want to use .NET for?

0 Kudos
JohnBarnes
New Contributor

I've used some javascript api "code" to return information regarding a polygon in a taxlot layer.  I want to capture the taxlot number and run a query against a database on the webserver my javascript api page is on and return data from the query to the client/webpage and display it in a div.

jb

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

John,

OK, like I mentioned earlier I do that often in my apps. So what are you looking for specifically? Do you already have a web service for this?

JohnBarnes
New Contributor

Yes, I have a mapservice and a page setup that has an identify button that returns feature attributes from a polygon coverage.  I would serve it out to you but IS has keeping it inside our domain for now.

0 Kudos
TyroneBiggums
Occasional Contributor III

Use an ajax call in JavaScript to call your webservice method.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

John,

So do you have a RESTful web service or a SOAP web service that does the database searching?

0 Kudos
JohnBarnes
New Contributor

According to ArcGiS Server Manager the service has both REST and SOAP capabilities.

John

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

John,

This topic is getting a little confusing then. If you are talking about querying data from ArcGIS Server then of course that will work and there are many samples in the JS API for doing this. I thought you were talking about data that resides in a database that was not Geo data (such as ArcGIS server). Maybe you need to clarify your requirements and workflow.