SDE Database

Jump to solution
10-22-2015 09:03 AM
ShannonSmith
New Contributor II

I recovered a SQL arcsde database from a year ago so that i can retrieve some information from it. In the last year we have updated SDE from 10.0 to 10.3. I can see my database with no problems in SQL but when i try to connect to it in arccatalog i get the following error message. Failed to connect to database. No ArcGIS server license found. How do i give it the server license. i have tried the Enable Enterprise Geodatbase toolbox and it does not like the database connection. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shannon,

You will want to connect to the geodatabase as the owner of the SDE repository.  For example, if the repository is owned by the user 'SDE', make your connection with this user.  You should then be presented with a pop-up requesting a license file.

screen1.PNG

You can then specify an ECP or PRVC file.  If you do not have these, but have ArcGIS Server installed on a server, browse to the C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.3\sysgen folder on that server and choose the keycodes file located there.

screen2.PNG

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shannon,

You will want to connect to the geodatabase as the owner of the SDE repository.  For example, if the repository is owned by the user 'SDE', make your connection with this user.  You should then be presented with a pop-up requesting a license file.

screen1.PNG

You can then specify an ECP or PRVC file.  If you do not have these, but have ArcGIS Server installed on a server, browse to the C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.3\sysgen folder on that server and choose the keycodes file located there.

screen2.PNG

ShannonSmith
New Contributor II

Thank you thank you. I was connected not as 'SDE' user and as soon as i did that, bam. it all works like magic. I am so grateful for your help!!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Adding some ESRI folks knowledgeable in Enterprise Geodatabases (SDE) in case they have ideas to add:

Asrujit SenGupta

Jake Skinner

Vince Angelo

EDIT - Jake replied while I was typing this up 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos