Has the 3.14 API code been updated recently? An unaltered web map is no longer functioning

Jump to solution
10-07-2015 08:45 AM
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

I put together a web map that was heavily tested in both IE (the default browser in VS Web Developer Express) and Chrome.  Our web master then incorporated it into our website.  We did a demo of the website last Tuesday, Sept 29 and did not run into issues.  But since then, the map will only load in Chrome if you hit the refresh button several times.  The map won't load at all in IE.  The web master is quite certain that he hasn't edited the code anywhere in the website (he's been working on other projects).

So I open my VS project and then ran debug against IE and I'm getting:

Although it's been weeks since I worked on this project, I'm pretty sure that I was not receiving that error before.  If I had, I wouldn't have handed it off to our web master.  Also, I take manual snapshots of my code anytime it's working well and before I try to add new functionality -- kind of like a manual source control.  Those previous versions of my code are now throwing the same error when they didn't before.  I have deleted the caches on my browsers numerous times.  Issues with the live web page were occurring on three different PCs

I know it may sound far fetched, but a change in the 3.14 code is the only thing that makes sense to me and two other co-workers.  Does ESRI change code between releases?  Do they apply bug fixes to code that's been previously released to the public and in use?  Or would they wait until 3.15 to make any modifications?

I realize that I could be totally barking up the wrong tree and I'm open to all suggestions, responses, and wake up calls.  I've attached all of the code that should be necessary to run my map and charts

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

We have not updated version 3.14 of the API. I setup your app on my local machine and this looks like a timing issue - I think perhaps the google api isn't always loaded when you try and use it to draw the chart. Perhaps wait until the google.setOnLoadCallback fires to ensure its loaded before trying to draw the chart.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

We have not updated version 3.14 of the API. I setup your app on my local machine and this looks like a timing issue - I think perhaps the google api isn't always loaded when you try and use it to draw the chart. Perhaps wait until the google.setOnLoadCallback fires to ensure its loaded before trying to draw the chart.

AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for getting back.  I was using the "material column charts" from Google.  They are currently in beta.  When I reverted to the older style Google charts everything functioned as expected.  They must have changed something.   And if they did that explains why things broke down when we hadn't modified the code in weeks!  To me, it doesn't make sense why the IE debugger was finally throwing an error when it stepped into http://js.arcgis.com/3.14/ rather than in Google's API code.  And that led me on a goose chase in the wrong direction where I eventually found the dog that was barking up the wrong tree, so to speak. 

Thanks for taking the time to look into it for me.  From the beginning it was hard to believe that ESRI had switched out the API code

0 Kudos