Deploying apps with custom widgets

Jump to solution
09-23-2015 02:14 PM
AndyWright
Occasional Contributor

I am brand new to the Web App Builder stuff, and am in the process of researching the capabilities of it for a customer.  We will need to do some custom widget development for this customer, and the best I can tell that means we will need to host the final application on one of their web servers rather than directly on ArcGIS Online.  Can anyone confirm that for me and/or point me in the direction of some Esri documentation that confirms that?  I've done quite a bit of poking around, but I haven't gotten a definitive answer on this from anything I've read.

Thanks in advance for the help ...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Andy, yes you can host it locally.  You will want to use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers   or if you use the AGOL version, you will want to download.  I recommend the developer's edistion since there are many Web AppBuilder Custom Widgets​ being build by the community.  However, AGOL usually gets the new "builtin" functions first, then the dev version, then the Portal version.

Even though you can host/server from your local server, you still need a connection to AGOL (for the basemap at least and to "register" developer) if they can access the internet, or Portal...if it needs to be totally isolated.

Check out

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List​  and

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed

and the links within.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AndyWright
Occasional Contributor

Of course, right after I posted this I found this link.  Looks like the answer to my question is no ...

Clarifying 3 questions about Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Andy, yes you can host it locally.  You will want to use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers   or if you use the AGOL version, you will want to download.  I recommend the developer's edistion since there are many Web AppBuilder Custom Widgets​ being build by the community.  However, AGOL usually gets the new "builtin" functions first, then the dev version, then the Portal version.

Even though you can host/server from your local server, you still need a connection to AGOL (for the basemap at least and to "register" developer) if they can access the internet, or Portal...if it needs to be totally isolated.

Check out

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List​  and

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed

and the links within.

AndyWright
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot for the feedback Rebecca. That helps a lot …

Andy

0 Kudos