geometryEngine.geodesicBuffer() returning strange geometry in IE11

09-08-2015 07:22 AM
BenFousek
Occasional Contributor III

geometryEngine.geodesicBuffer() is returning strange geometry in IE11. The weird thing is this only happens when deployed and used in an internal environment. In dev and testing I cannot reproduce this. It's been tested on several machines with IE11 outside the internal environment and works fine. It works fine with Chrome internally, however users are restricted to IE11. The frequency of issue is unpredictable each time the app is refreshed. Sometimes it happens every other buffer, sometimes every buffer, and sometimes every 4th or 5th buffer. It's returning geometry so obviously no errors to report.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Here are two examples:

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 6.47.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 6.49.43 AM.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Ben,

Looks like a glitched PAC-MAN! geometryEngine is still in Beta - maybe they are still working-out the kinks.

I'd be curious to know if it happens using geometryEngineAsync as well. Also, not sure if this has anything to do with it (I'm just grabbing at straws), but...

The GeometryEngine has two methods for buffering geometries client-side: buffer and geodesicBuffer(). Use caution when deciding which method to use. As a general rule, use geodesicBuffer() if the input geometries have a spatial reference of either WGS-84 (wkid: 4326) or Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere (wkid: 3857). Only use buffer (this method) when attempting to buffer geometries with a projected coordinate system other than Web Mercator. If you need to buffer geometries with a geographic coordinate system other than WGS-84 (wkid: 4326), useGeometryService.buffer().

I noticed similar behavior has happened to others (using Flex API against a server process):

Strange Buffer Results - Looks like Pac-Man

0 Kudos
BenFousek
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Chris,

Actually using geometryEngineAsync.

Switched to geometry service and get the same result. So something else going on here with the graphic created with result. Unfortunately I don't have access to one of the virtual desktops where the issue seems to only exist... so I'm setting up a test to get geometry json from various points in the process and see what can be found out. Will report.

0 Kudos