SDE Lost DBMS Connection

08-20-2015 07:06 AM
DaleShearer
Occasional Contributor

I have two VB.net applications done in Visual Studio 2012.  Within these applications are similar search routines that are done on a sql server.  These applications are used daily by multiple users and have been for years. 

Within the past 3 months there have been 3 SDE_E_SE_LOST_DBMS_CONNECTION errors on different machines running the apps.  2 errors were on one application, 1 error on the other.

Now in tracking this down this is the info on error:

Error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80050199

Error Number: -2147155559

This translate to -409

Which is saying the same thing: SDE_E_SE_LOST_DBMS_CONNECTION - The application can no longer connect to the underlying DBMS.

The last time this occurred the user had let the application sit for about an hour and it threw the error when they went to do a new search.

On all the errors the user restarted the applications and they worked fine.

I am a programmer/developer and I know how servers and things work but I do not deal with them.  On approaching the powers that be on the servers I am told the problem is in the code, the end, as such I have no access to server logs, etc.

So here I am with a random error that points to a lost dbms connection.  If it is something in the code I am open to any suggestions.

My question is:  is there any way I can track/log any type of connection error from the client side, or do I need to better understand the error that is occurring?

Thank you for your time.  Dale,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DaleShearer
Occasional Contributor

:

Failure to access the DBMS server [08S01:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client
11.0]TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote
host. ] [File Name]

The sequence of events was the user selected a checkbox to display a layer on the map which threw the above error.

Next they tried to perform a search routine which threw the SDE_E_SE_LOST_DBMS_CONNECTION error.

They then shut down the application and restarted it and it ran without error.

Thank you for your time.  Dale,

0 Kudos
DaleShearer
Occasional Contributor

For whatever reason on my last post it was suppose to say at the top:

Upon more digging I found that this error occurred first, then the lost connection error.

Failure to access the DBMS server [08S01:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client
11.0]TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote
host. ] [File Name]

0 Kudos
DeepLakhanpal1
New Contributor

Hi Dale,

Have you tried below mention points --

Possible issue -

Client is connecting with an unsupported version of the SQL Server Native Client.  [Solution - Update the client computer to the server version of the SQL Server Native Client.]

Faulty network hardware is dropping portions of the TCP traffic. [Use network monitoring programs to analyze TCP SYN, ACK, and FIN messages.]

If any other client killing the connection - Examine the SQL Server ERRORLOG for KILL statements; if there are none, then no other client is killing SQL Server connections.

Please let me know if you have resolved this.

thanks

D

DaleShearer
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying D, sorry it took so long to get back.  I have not resolved this issue as of yet.  I am a developer so trouble shooting the network is all new to me.  When this error occurs I am told that it is an error in the code that is causing it.

But.... when the error occurs and the user restarts the application it runs fine.  It occurs on search routines on an sdeworkspace.  This error occurs sometimes after the application has sat idle for awhile and the user goes to use the application again.  Sometimes the error message points to the sdeworkspace.

I will take the information you gave me and look it.  I do appreciate it.

Dale,

0 Kudos