How to free up an ArcGIS License when Running Programs in Pythonwin

Jump to solution
07-13-2015 02:00 PM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

On Friday I executed a long running python program in the Pythonwin environment.  When I got into work today I saw that I still had an ArcGIS license in use from Friday.  Only after closing the Pythonwin program was the license released.   Can I add something at the bottom of the script to explicitly release the license?  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

CheckInExtension doesn't release ArcGIS licenses, only extension licenses (i.e spatial analyst, data interoperability, etc.).

You can't release your ArcGIS license without closing Pythonwin. If you want to release your license when your script finishes, run it from a command prompt or use a more advanced IDE such as PyScripter, Wing or PyCharm that can run the script as an external process.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You can try using ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  

I know there are issues with links today, so just in case  full path

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/CheckInExtension/03q300000054000000/

That is supposed to work anyway.

Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

CheckInExtension doesn't release ArcGIS licenses, only extension licenses (i.e spatial analyst, data interoperability, etc.).

You can't release your ArcGIS license without closing Pythonwin. If you want to release your license when your script finishes, run it from a command prompt or use a more advanced IDE such as PyScripter, Wing or PyCharm that can run the script as an external process.