bixb0012

Call for More Pythonic ArcPy Geometries

Discussion created by bixb0012 Champion on Jul 14, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 by bixb0012

I have been working with Django, specifically GeoDjango, on and off for a few weeks, and I must say it has opened my eyes.  When working with the GeoDjango GEOS API, geometries work quite a bit different than in ArcGIS.

Geometries are Pythonic

GEOSGeometry objects are ‘Pythonic’, in other words components may be accessed, modified, and iterated over using standard Python conventions.

Since the idea is already implemented and documented, I won't dive into the specifics here of how true or more Pythonic geometries work.  Given that ArcPy is a Python site package, I think ArcPy geometries should be a bit more robust in terms of using standard Python conventions to interact with them.  This is one area where ArcGIS Pro has been a big let down, i.e.,  ArcGIS Pro was not used as an opportunity to re-invent/re-invigorate the ArcPy site package.

I have posted the idea on ArcGIS Ideas (Pythonic ArcPy Geometries) and opened an Esri Support Enhancement Request (ENH-000089037: Make ArcPy Geometries truly Pythonic) if anyone wants to vote for it or attach their customer number to the idea.

Outcomes