Exporting to PDF not working correctly

06-08-2015 03:39 PM
IanBroad
New Contributor III

I've setup a web map that allows a user to export to PDF using an MXD template I created, but the text and symbols are all messed up. However, if I export to something like PNG, it looks okay.

Any idea what could be causing the PDF to not export correctly? I've read about different fonts like Calibri causing problems, but I'm using Arial.

Our server is currently running Windows Server 2007 with ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS for Server 10.2.1.

PNG export:

Standard.png

PDF export:

Standard2.png

0 Kudos
13 Replies
SunnyWisher
New Contributor III

Try the export options at the bottom when you export the map to pdf

Options common to EPS, PDF, AI, EMF

The Picture Symbol drop-down list allows you to select the method used to render picture marker symbols. Choose the Vectorize layers with bitmap markers/fills option to convert the raster markers/fills to polygons. This will prevent rasterization of the map, at the expense of some details of the bitmap marker/fill. The option to rasterize marker symbols is also available. The Convert Markers To Polygons option controls whether marker symbols that are based on font characters will be exported as text or as polygons. Check this option if you plan to view the output on a machine that does not have the appropriate fonts installed, but you cannot embed the fonts due to licensing or file format restrictions (AI cannot embed fonts). On PDF or EPS exports, use the Embed All Document Fonts option instead. Note that having this option enabled effectively disables the Embed All Document Fonts option for font-based marker symbols in formats that support embedding. -Exporting your map

0 Kudos
SunnyWisher
New Contributor III

On PDF or EPS exports, use the Embed All Document Fonts option instead. Note that having this option enabled effectively disables the Embed All Document Fonts option for font-based marker symbols in formats that support embedding. or the Convert Markers To Polygons option sometimes helps

IanBroad
New Contributor III

Thanks, but I've tried every possible combination for the different options, and nothing works.

0 Kudos
SunnyWisher
New Contributor III

Exporting map to pdf (ArcMap 10.3)  could it have anything to do with this?

SunnyWisher
New Contributor III

before exporting it try converting labels to annotation and/or then convert them to graphiz?? 

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Ian,  Have you tried printing to a PDF writer instead?  It will flatten the output considerably though, if all you need the pdf image it works for me often with smaller file size.

0 Kudos
IanBroad
New Contributor III

Well, the whole point of this is to export to a PDF via a web map. If it comes down to it I suppose I'll have to export to PNG instead, but I'd prefer PDF.

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

I see, so are you using code to export to a PDF then?  I guess it does this manually as well...  I would have to test on my end and cannot at the moment, sorry.  Anything different about that text (annotation, labeling engine, font, etc?)

0 Kudos
IanBroad
New Contributor III

Yeah, I'm using the ArcGIS JavaScript API for the web map, and then I published a Python geoprocessing tool to the server that does the exporting.

It's all very similar to this guide, but more customized for what we need:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

And there's nothing different about the text. If you compare the two images above, you can see that the pole / light / fuse symbols are also missing from the PDF version. Very strange.