Facing problem with symbolization

Jump to solution
05-18-2015 02:54 AM
shekibRasheedi
New Contributor

Hi All,

I am a fresh-man in GIS. I have just faced a problem and I am sharing it to have the best answer for its solution:

I have a map to generate and show the types of training and number of participants on the map province/state wise. I want to show each training type with a symbol i.e. square, circle, rectangle; in addition also show the total number of participants per training and per province/state. (Below, I have attached the table for better understanding)

i.e. there have been 4 types of training in Kabul province. with ASP having 486 participants, Java having 36 Participants, VB having 753 participants and C++ having 101 participants.

I would be highly appreciated, to have your views and guidance.

ProvinceASPJavaVBC++
Badakhshan233 36235
Badghis 53
Baghlan54
Balkh125 1849
Bamyan78 23329
Daykundi55 154
Farah30
Faryab 30
Ghazni 32
Ghor53 119
Helmand45 13112
Herat204 36428
Jowzjan62 203
Kabul48636753101
Kandahar40 160
Kapisa 210
Khost 81
Kunar6314123
Kunduz89 42244
Laghman32 16514
Logar22 45
Nangarhar159 18736
Nimroz 28
Paktia 38
Paktika29 77
Panjshir 114
Parwan 108
Samangan37 78
Takhar1011457
Uruzgan 134
Wardak 145
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesPierce
Occasional Contributor II

Try this link to get information on generation of a point at the centroid of each polygon.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

You can then symbolize the point.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JamesPierce

I am assuming this is spatial data like a shapefile or table with x/y values present?  If so, after importing your data into ArcGIS, navigate to the 'Symbology' tab of the layer in question.

The 'Categories' option should allow you the flexibility to symbolize your data to specification.  Test out some of the options there.

Best of luck!

shekibRasheedi
New Contributor

Thanks james for your comment. Actually, I tested all the categories options under symbolize tab of the layer properties. but it only provide with fill option. while I need to just show the training type with a circle, square or rectangular shape and also show the number of participants of the relevant training type.

The point to be noted, is that the a single province/state has hosted more than one training at a time.

FYI, I am using access geo-database. Looking forward to hear back!

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
JamesPierce

Try this link to get information on generation of a point at the centroid of each polygon.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

You can then symbolize the point.

shekibRasheedi
New Contributor

Again facing a problem, as I need to show the number of participants for each training type on in its own province/state! Can anyone help out! Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Shekib, one possibility is to symbolize using charts. Here's the help file on that: ArcGIS Help 10.1​. I'm assuming that you already have your data attached to a shapefile of the provinces. If not, let me know and I can walk you through that.

shekibRasheedi
New Contributor

Hey Sephe, Thanks for the help; but I am the chart shows only in one polygon not in the whole map, though there is no restriction. Can you help out with!

FYI, The data is already attached to the shapefile.

Thanks a heap.

Shekib

0 Kudos
shekibRasheedi
New Contributor

please see below the print screen

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Are these point features? I see it says feature to point in the table of contents. Your data needs to be arranged, so that each province in the polygon features has values in four fields for your programming languages, just like in the table you have at the top. Is that how your data is now?

0 Kudos