What SQLServer user permissions are needed to add features?

Jump to solution
04-22-2015 08:25 AM
GreigMcArthur
New Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS server 10.2 with a MS SQL Server back end (SDE).  I have a large number of tables in the database and have a user who I only want to let view/edit a single table (via ArcMap using a database connection).  I don't even want them to be able to list the names of the other tables - as far as they are concerned there is one table in the SQLServer instance.

I've had some success and have the sqlserver login setup where they can only see their table, and can edit the attributes of the existing features, however when they try to add a new feature they get a message saying:

"The Create Feature task could not be completed.  Insufficient permissions [db.schema.tablename]."

Obviously db.schema.tablename is the name of the table being edited.

They have insert, update, delete, alter, view definitions, references permissions on that table, what else do they need?  Are permissions on certain stored procedures or other sde tables required?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Greig,

Is the table they are trying to edit registered as versioned?

It appears you granted the insert, update, delete, alter, view definitions, permissions within SQL Server.  I would try the following:

1.  Revoke all permissions except 'Connect'

2.  In the Catalog window of ArcGIS Desktop, connect to the database as the data owner

3.  Right-click on the feature class/table > Manage > Privileges

4.  Add the user and check 'Select, Insert, Update, Delete'

Does the user receive the same error?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Greig,

Is the table they are trying to edit registered as versioned?

It appears you granted the insert, update, delete, alter, view definitions, permissions within SQL Server.  I would try the following:

1.  Revoke all permissions except 'Connect'

2.  In the Catalog window of ArcGIS Desktop, connect to the database as the data owner

3.  Right-click on the feature class/table > Manage > Privileges

4.  Add the user and check 'Select, Insert, Update, Delete'

Does the user receive the same error?

GreigMcArthur
New Contributor

Many thanks Jake, that did the trick - I simply opened the privileges box in arccatalog, cleared everything out (incidentally all privileges were checked), saved it, re-opened and re-applied the privileges and everything seems to work as needed now.

0 Kudos