000582 : Error while adding Global IDs

Jump to solution
04-09-2015 10:06 PM
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have already been able to add global IDs to multiple feature classes on our sde enterprise database. However one of our feature classes simply will not work. I have tried using the tool, tried running a python script and tried multiple different ways of adding global IDs to this feature. Any help anyone could provide would be most appreciated!

Here are some details about my situation:

Feature class is not very large at all.

Feature class does participate in a geometric network.

Feature class does have relationships.

Feature is in a Versioned dataset.

Archiving is enabled.

Is a standard point feature.

Error message is as follows (not very helpful):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

000582 : Error occurred during execution.

ArcGIS 10.3

Description

An error occurred during the tool's validation or execution. No specific messages were available. The validation process checks that a tool's parameter values are of the expected number, data type, and value.

Solution

Check that a tool's required parameter values are specified and are the correct data type. If the parameters are entered correctly, it may be possible that the execute routine for the tool is invalid. Have the developer of the custom tool check the Execute implementation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

I have since resolved this issue, it seems I wasn’t able to add global IDs to the aforementioned feature because it was part of a geometric network. So, I have now been able to add global IDs by deleting and then re-adding the geometric network. Unfortunately this will not be possible on our production/live database as deleting then re-creating the geometric network requires unregistering the database as versioned, our production currently contains versions that are unable to be reconciled/posted so we cannot use this method.

If someone was able to recommend a method that does not require that we remove the geometric network before adding global IDs this would be more suitable to our situation, otherwise I guess this is the only solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

I have since resolved this issue, it seems I wasn’t able to add global IDs to the aforementioned feature because it was part of a geometric network. So, I have now been able to add global IDs by deleting and then re-adding the geometric network. Unfortunately this will not be possible on our production/live database as deleting then re-creating the geometric network requires unregistering the database as versioned, our production currently contains versions that are unable to be reconciled/posted so we cannot use this method.

If someone was able to recommend a method that does not require that we remove the geometric network before adding global IDs this would be more suitable to our situation, otherwise I guess this is the only solution.

0 Kudos
NicholasGross
Occasional Contributor II

I ran into this error today, also on a feature class that participates in a geometric network. You should still be able to add Global IDs to the entire dataset through the ArcCatalog dataset context menu. Of course, this will add Global IDs to every feature class, but you should be able to delete the field from feature classes where you don't actually need it.

For me, this was a better option than unregistering as versioned.

HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hey Nicholas,

Thanks for this, this seems like a great solution and I'm certain it would work. Great work around idea.

Cheers

Hamish

0 Kudos
LornaShaw
New Contributor

I have had the same error trying to add a global ID to a simple feature class that is not part of a geometric network. Does anyone have a solution in this case?

NaomiBegg
Occasional Contributor

Lorna, I've had a similar issue to you of the error on a feature class that is not part of a geometric network.  It appears that the tool gets hung up on locks.  I closed the document I was working in, opened a blank Pro doc, and added Global IDs from the catalogue there.  This ran smoothly

MichaelNigbor1
New Contributor III
For me, this was the correct answer.
0 Kudos
ClintWoods1
New Contributor II

Naomi, Thank you for this! It worked perfectly once ran in a blank doc.

0 Kudos