Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Document Properties

09-15-2010 12:37 PM
RichardWhite
Occasional Contributor
I've been slowly converting my old Map Templates into Map Documents and saving in the default template folder for v10.0.

I just noticed that my Map Document Properties, such as Title, Author, and Credits aren't being carried over into the new document when I open using the template.

They are still there in the origional document (template), but disappear from the new "Untitled" document.

Am I doing this wrong?  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Richard
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScottMcGee
Regular Contributor
I'm having the same issue with ArcGIS 10 Service Pack 1. Document properties are stored in the map template (MXD and older 9.3.1 MXT). However, when I open the MXD as a template from the ArcMap - Getting Started dialog box/template picker, the document properties are no longer there.

But, if I open ArcMap, dismiss the ArcMap - Getting Started dialog box/template picker, click File > Open and manually navigate to the MXD, then all the document properties are intact.

Shouldn't the document properties show when the MXD is opened from the ArcMap - Getting Started dialog box/template picker? Seems like a bug in the software. Any ideas on a fix?

Scott
0 Kudos
RichardWhite
Occasional Contributor
It seems that when a map document is used as a template, the document properties aren't being preserved.  This is not how MS Office templates work.

For the copyright symbol alone, this is worth a bug fix :).

Maybe someone can confirm this or suggest a workaround.

Thanks, Richard
0 Kudos
ScottMcGee
Regular Contributor
Yeah, it sure seems like a bug. I haven't yet found a real solution. As a workaround, I'm simply putting all the MXD templates that I want our users to use in a separate (non-ArcGIS-specific) folder. I then set the read-only attribute for the MXDs and tell the users to manually navigate to the desired MXD template, open it, and save it to a new name. They can then continue building their new map, and it retains all the document properties that were in the MXD map template.

ESRI still needs to look into the problem of MXD templates not retaining the document properties.

I have submitted an ESRI support request/bug report for this issue.

Scott
0 Kudos