showing point data from different colums (of one shape) in different colours

03-13-2015 04:54 AM
hansMasch1
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to symbolize point data from three columns of the attribute table ín two cathegories (identic cathegories for the three columns).

Problem is, that so far I am only able to set cathegories for one colmumn of the attribute table at a time. Can I do that at all? How?

I hope one is halfways able to understand what I am getting at. 

Thaks a lot in advance and best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hansMasch1
New Contributor

Hey,

yes so it was kind of difficult to set cathegories with the right arragement of values of each column when using the multiple attributes option. Gis seem to only allow you to set cathegories for all three columns at a time since it creates kind of a dataset from the different columns. I dont think it is possible to have different cathegories for each column. So finally I created a shapefile for each column, further set my cathegories.

If there is somethink I missed I would be very happy and interested to hear about that. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Christian

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

You are correct that the Multiple Attributes option will only create a legend based on the unique combination of values from the set of fields you choose all used together.  It is not possible to create unique lists for multiple fields that remain separate from the other field values and that stack on top of each other in a single layer.  A separate layer is required for each unique value list for a single field to do that arrangement.

However, you do not need to create separate shapefiles for each column to create separate layers for each column.  You can copy a layer that points to a single shapefile as often as you like and set each new layer to use a different column for its legend categories.  You can rename each layer and legend heading to fit your needs.  One shapefile can be used by as many layers as you want in your map.