Select to view content in your preferred language

Aerial Images

02-28-2015 11:59 PM
JessiecarEsguerra
Regular Contributor

What are the things to consider when processing Aerial Images to ensure that the result are correct? I need to combine thousands of Aerial Images into one. I have ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 to do this. Any tips and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JessiecarEsguerra
Regular Contributor

Hello GIS Users, any suggestions please! Thanks!

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Honored Contributor

Your initial question was somewhat vague.  Are you needing to mosaic multiple images together? run image analysis on images?  Are they already Georeferenced or do they need georeferencing?

If you could be a bit more specific about the project you are needing to do, it would help us find an answer.

0 Kudos
JessiecarEsguerra
Regular Contributor

I already have georeferenced aerial images and i need to mosaic those multiple images. I know the process of mosaicking using raster catalog but I am uncertain as to how i could verify that the position of said images are correct.

Thanks for answering Ian.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Honored Contributor

Hi friend,

Have you consider using Mosaic Dataset ? I'd start working with two first and then add two more to give you an idea.

More information can be found here :ArcGIS Help 10.1

I just worked on this with NAIP I am working on for the whole state of New Mexico 2009, 2011,2012, and 2014.

0 Kudos
JessiecarEsguerra
Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thanks for spending time in joining this discussion.

To answer your question, Yes, have tried both, raster catalog and mosaic dataset and working a few images, it looks good but my worry is that once I have added thousands of images to the raster catalog/mosaic dataset, how could I verify that every single images are in the right position. Is there a way to validate multiple images at once? Thanks again.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Honored Contributor

Before I ask you further, how many aerial images and what will you be using them for ?

0 Kudos
JessiecarEsguerra
Regular Contributor

I am uncertain yet with the exact number of aerial images but definitely I will have a thousands of images since it will be covering different States. I need to have an image service for a web application.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Honored Contributor

You should be able to use this method... might want to look at here

Image Management Workflows | ArcGIS Resource Center

Honestly, it is an awkward workflow but I had to work on it for many hours until I understand how it works...

Like I said I did work on NAIP for New Mexico and i was able to get it right..it took me to figure it out about three days...  I have asked others here on the GeoNet and only few people repsond me back...

Do you have background in Erdas or Envi  ?

0 Kudos
JessiecarEsguerra
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, No.

Honestly speaking, I'm not familiar in Erdas or Envi.

I'll take a look on Image Management Workflows | ArcGIS Resource Center

and see if I could understand this one and if this will work on me.

I have actually tried "Project Raster Tool" in ArcToolBox and also changing the spatial reference by right clicking the rater catalog in the ArcMap Catalog window > Properties > XY Coordinate system tab. Unfortunately, both didn't work as how I wanted it. Images is going in different place but never fall in the right location.

Thank you so much Robert. I really appreciate your inputs and would be very glad to hear more about this concern if you find anything else that might help me resolve this issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos