Best arcgis.com practices for sharing raster data

Jump to solution
02-13-2015 08:44 AM
PaulMitchell
New Contributor

Can anyone help clarify how they share raster data on ArcGIS.com?

I've developed a raster dataset from an analysis. It has a 30 meter cell size with an extent the size of Maine. I want the dataset to have a legend when it appears in ArcGIS.com.

Am I on the right track to simply create a Map Tile Package via desktop and then to upload, or is a Map Tile Package specifically designed for creating Basemaps (where as I'm looking to create a layer)?

Please let me know if I've missed something obvious in the forums or help!

Thanks very much, Paul

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

ArcGIS Online only supports creating Feature Services or Tiled Services.  If you are using ArcGIS Server, you can create a Map Service or, if you have the ArcGIS Server Image Extension, an Image Service.  You can use both a Map and Image Service within ArcGIS.com.

If you do not have ArcGIS Server, take a look at the following document on how you can create a tiled service w/o burning through all of your credits.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

ArcGIS Online only supports creating Feature Services or Tiled Services.  If you are using ArcGIS Server, you can create a Map Service or, if you have the ArcGIS Server Image Extension, an Image Service.  You can use both a Map and Image Service within ArcGIS.com.

If you do not have ArcGIS Server, take a look at the following document on how you can create a tiled service w/o burning through all of your credits.

PaulMitchell
New Contributor

Hey Jake,

Thanks kindly for addressing my post. I knew there was something with tiling I needed to do, and you've laid out the process in detail with your White Paper. There were several steps in there I'd not expected!

Thanks again and Best Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos