Polygon to Raster, discrete data to continuous?

02-12-2015 03:46 PM
RachelMedina2
New Contributor

I have state hydro data that I am trying to convert to raster data. I have two sets, lakes/ponds which are polygons and rivers/streams which are lines. I have used the 'polygon to raster' tool and 'polyline to raster' tool to convert these data sets to raster. What I ultimately want is to combine the two rasters and then convert that to a raster that is the same extent as the state border and have just two values for the raster, 1 for water, 0 for land. Can anyone help me with some ideas on how to do this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

to suggest a process.

• set you extents, cell size etc in the Environments tab for each tool you use to match the extents of you state file
  • convert the ponds and rivers to rasters setting their value to 1 and nodata values to zero
  • add those 2 rasters together, hopefully there are no rivers in the ponds otherwise reclass the resultant so that everything is 1's and 0's

decide which tools you wish to use for the above,  in theory, your 0's should be land if the boundary state file delineates it

0 Kudos
KishorGhatage
Occasional Contributor III

There are many ways to accomplish this task. Dan has already suggested  some ways. Here is one more way:

1. Convert your state boundary (polygon) to a raster

2. Use Mosaic to new raster tool > add River raster first,  Lake raster and then State raster

3. Finally use Reclassify tool to convert the values to 1's and 0's

Hope this is helpful

Kishor

0 Kudos