Web AppBuilder Dev Ed on same server as Portal for ArcGIS?

01-15-2015 10:11 AM
KerryRobinson
Esri Contributor

I'd like to install Web AppBuilder Dev Edition on the same server as Portal for ArcGIS.  However when I add an item with the URL to Portal, there is no option to register the app with Portal because it's not an external URL.   When I run Web AppBuilder the first time it still prompts me for the app ID.

Is this configuration supported? Is there a way to register the app in Portal or does Web AppBuilder really need an App id in this configuration?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kerry,

A normal workflow does not involve installing WAB Developer version on a Server. Normally you develop and configure your app in WAB Dev on a workstation, then when you are satisfied you download the app and move it to your Web server for hosting.

0 Kudos
KerryRobinson
Esri Contributor

Robert-

Thanks.  I guess this boils down to the same question Rebecca Strauch‌ asked below regarding whether to install WAB Dev in one place for all developers to use or for each to install on their own workstation. I was vying for the former, which is why i was running in on the same machine as Portal.

In the meantime I'm running it on my own workstation...

Kerry

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kerry,

Got it. I didn't understand that you were looking to support multiple developers. If you were only looking to support multiple configures then they could just use the WAB version on 10.3 portal.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And as Robert Scheitlin pointed out, we are running it on the local machines (not servers).  The question I was asking it whether to use one or different AppID's....that is, have one Add Item-an Application created with all possible user/dev machines and "shared", or have each user create an AppID.  I'm going with the second option.

And if interested, yesterday I wrote and posted what I tested and the conclusions I came up with....right or wrong, or best practices??  I'm hoping others will comment if they have a better solution.  But doing the tests and writing it down makes my old mind understand it better.

EDIT: I refer to ArcGIS Online....not portal (which I haven't setup yet, but should be similar)

KerryRobinson
Esri Contributor

OK, I got it now. 

I saw your blog post and found it useful. I'm primarily interested in Portal deployments, so once I get more experience under my belt I'll contribute or write something similar.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PascualBenito
New Contributor III

We are currently running WAB Dev Ed on same server as our ArcGIS Server machine, with the goal of supporting multiple developers and centralizing custom widgets, etc... . So far we have each been able to manage our apps independently on same machine. Currently we are using our AGOL organizational account, but we plan on moving to Portal so I look forward to hearing more about other's experience with this. I think we are going to see more and more cases of organizations using WAB Dev Edition in a similar capacity as Geocortex and they will want the ability of managing a single centralized install of WAB Dev that can be used by multiple developers and can benefit from central store of custom widgets, etc...

0 Kudos