AppBuilder for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
01-08-2015 01:45 PM
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II

Can I use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS to build web-mapping apps without using ArcGIS Online like ArcGIS Viewers for Silverlight and Flex? Or is it an ArcGIS Online-dependent application builder?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hani,

The answer is YES, IF the following conditions are meet.

1. you use the LocalLayerWidget metioned earlier my me and Rebecca.
  2. you use a one of the default basemaps from esri or you have your own basemap on AGOL.
  3. You CAN NOT currently just use map service from your own ArcGIS Server unless condition number 1 and 2 are meet.

Hope this clearly answers your question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hani,

Currently the Web AppBuilder depends on a WebMap from AGOL. But there is a widget available to add your own map services along as your basemap comes from an AGOL web map.

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Thank you Robert,

Can I install the builder on my machine to build  the apps, or should I access my ArcGIS organizational account to build them?

Does the Web AppBuilder consume services published from ArcGIS Server? or just those hosted by ArcGIS Online

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hani,

There is a Web AppBuilder Developer Version you can install on your local machine to build the apps.

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

As I mention in my last reply Currently Web AppBuilder consumes a WebMap hosted by ArcGIS Online. But there is a widget available to add your own map services along as your basemap comes from an AGOL web map.

HaniDraidi

Robert,

I got confused about your second answer, I used the map tab but seems that I cannot add any service published by ArcGIS Server, all the available options are for services from AGOL (please see the first screenshot).

In addition, I could not find any widget to add services (please see the second screenshot, do you mean the “map” tab in the first screenshots?)

Please provide me with a YES/NO answer to this question: Can I add a service published from ArcGIS Server to an app built with WebApp Builder?

Clip_921.jpg

Clip_922.jpg

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

What Robert Scheitlin‌ meant was if you use the Web Application Builder - Developer addition you can then use a new custom widget that was announced earlier today here https://community.esri.com/message/448393?et=watches.email.thread#448393 .    Since it's still new, many like me are probably just starting to test it out.

Per Adam Drackley‌ , the author of the custom widget,

The LocalLayer Widget is intended to allow the direct addition of MapServices to an ArcGIS Web AppBuilder application, without needing to wrap the desired services in an ArcGIS Online/Portal Web Map

which is something that many of us want to do.

I hope this helps.  Robert also has many custom widgets that will be worth your time to check out.

Edit:  Web AppBuilder Custom Widgets  is a place to check for custom widgets.

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Thank you Rebeca for your prompt response,

I got this point, but still the second part of my question is not answered: Can I add services from ArcGIS Server to an application built with WebApp Builder for ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hani,

The answer is YES, IF the following conditions are meet.

1. you use the LocalLayerWidget metioned earlier my me and Rebecca.
  2. you use a one of the default basemaps from esri or you have your own basemap on AGOL.
  3. You CAN NOT currently just use map service from your own ArcGIS Server unless condition number 1 and 2 are meet.

Hope this clearly answers your question.

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Robert,

This is exactly what I wanted to know from the second part of my question.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos