Editor Tracking Within Web Application

Jump to solution
01-06-2015 07:26 PM
WesAskew
New Contributor II

I have an internal web application that allows users to edit an SDE layer.  I have editor tracking enabled on the layer and would like for the editor field to be populated by the editor's organization domain name.  What is the best way of going about this?  Would any configuration need to be done in Server Manager?  Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

The siteadmin username and password is stored in your proxy, correct? When your application makes its first call to the secured feature service it authenticates as user "siteadmin". How is ArcGIS Server supposed to get information about the editor's organization domain name? It might not be possible (it also isn't possible when you use ArcGIS Online registered layers, with a stored AD password and thus essentially use ArcGIS Online as a proxy to get at your ArcGIS Server feature services.) I think if nobody knowledgeable on proxies replies to this thread you might have better luck with re-phrasing the discussion title to include "proxy", "authentication", etc. Sorry I don't have better info.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
TobiasFimpel1

How is your service secured? If your ArcGIS Server is using Windows domain as identity store then secure the service, add it to an ArcGIS Online map, and don't store credentials within a registered ArcGIS Online layer.

0 Kudos
WesAskew
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response.   I have already built a custom application using the API and do not want to go through ArcGIS Online. The service will be secured in a protected rest services folder and will be accessed in the application by a proxy page.   Our ArcGIS Server IS using Windows domain as the identity store.  Do you have any more suggestions?

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

I see. I have not much expertise with proxy pages. Without proxy if you are using the javascript API and create a map with a secured layer users will automatically be prompted to enter their Windows domain name and the associated password on map load. Did you try that yet? What do you want your proxy page to do in terms of authentication? Someone with more expertise on using proxies would likely be able to help. Also, what version of ArcGIS Server are you using?

0 Kudos
WesAskew
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Server 10.2.  I found something here:  ArcGIS Javascript API with Windows Authentication - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange which states that the proxy will cause issues when determining who makes the edits.  Since the application will be internal only, I have decided not to use the proxy.  Without the proxy, the editor field is populated with Esri_Anonymous.  I need this to display the domain name of the user who makes the edits. 

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

The siteadmin username and password is stored in your proxy, correct? When your application makes its first call to the secured feature service it authenticates as user "siteadmin". How is ArcGIS Server supposed to get information about the editor's organization domain name? It might not be possible (it also isn't possible when you use ArcGIS Online registered layers, with a stored AD password and thus essentially use ArcGIS Online as a proxy to get at your ArcGIS Server feature services.) I think if nobody knowledgeable on proxies replies to this thread you might have better luck with re-phrasing the discussion title to include "proxy", "authentication", etc. Sorry I don't have better info.

WesAskew
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your help.  I have decided to not use the proxy and am beginning to think that it is something in ArcGIS Server that will need reconfiguring.

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

Sure, let me know if you have any more questions...

0 Kudos