Bug? Set Visibility Range Won't Save in ArcGIS.com after Dec Update

Jump to solution
12-12-2014 08:55 AM
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

When I set a visibility range, then save the ArcGIS.com map, it works within the current session, but when I close out of the map and reopen it, all of the visibility ranges that I set are cleared out.  Appears to mostly be arcgis server hosted dynamic map services.  I also tried on old maps and brand new maps with same result.

I noticed this since yesterday when the December ArcGIS.com update went through.  Never had any issues before.

Anyone else have this problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Dan,

We've reproduced your issue. This issue was introduced on Wednesday and will be updated by next week.

I see that in your case, the layer is stored as an item.So the workaround is to save the scale range to the layer item.

1. Open your web map

2. Set the visible scale range on the layer.

3. Click the layer context menu arrow (small icon next to layer name in contents).

4. Click Save Layer

This will save the visible scale range to the layer item, so when the map opens, it will read it from there instead of locally in the web map itself. Note that by saving the visible scale range to the item, any new map you add this layer to will also have the same visible scale range set by default. Also, any other properties you enabled on the layer, such as popups, will also be saved to the layer item.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

12 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share your web map with us so we can take a look?

Thanks,

Mike

DanAllen

Hi Mike,

Here is a copy of the map.  Although all the map services from arcgis server layers are internal ip addresses, so you wont be able to see any of the data. http://bit.ly/1z1pi2I

I tried the Parcels 2014_11 layer, set zoom scales, save map, reopen map and zoom scales are gone.

Dan

0 Kudos
DanAllen

I also tried this in chrome and IE and it wiped out the zoom scales in both, only for layers with zoom scales i had just changed or added.  Those that had zoom scales from before the dec update were not affected.  Zoom scales did not get wiped out for changes made to feature services hosted in arcgis.com, only those hosted on the local server.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Dan,

We've reproduced your issue. This issue was introduced on Wednesday and will be updated by next week.

I see that in your case, the layer is stored as an item.So the workaround is to save the scale range to the layer item.

1. Open your web map

2. Set the visible scale range on the layer.

3. Click the layer context menu arrow (small icon next to layer name in contents).

4. Click Save Layer

This will save the visible scale range to the layer item, so when the map opens, it will read it from there instead of locally in the web map itself. Note that by saving the visible scale range to the item, any new map you add this layer to will also have the same visible scale range set by default. Also, any other properties you enabled on the layer, such as popups, will also be saved to the layer item.

Thanks,

Mike

DanAllen

Thanks Mike.  I appreciate your help.

Best,

Dan

0 Kudos
JeffPuuri
New Contributor II

Hi Mike,

I ran into this same issue just today and found this post with your workaround procedure, which solved the behavior I was experiencing, so thanks very much for the reply.  My question is this a temporary workaround or a permanent solution?  From the post, it sounded like a workaround, and that a fix (i.e. not having to save the layer) might be in place by now.  Thanks for any update you might be able to provide on the status.

Jeff Puuri

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Jeff Puuri

The fix for the original issue is in place.  You may be encountering a different manifestation of the original issue. Can you share your web map or a sequence of steps to reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

Mike

JeffPuuri
New Contributor II

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I think everything is all good now.  Just prior to your response I had republished all the layers in my ArcGIS Online map from republished versions of my feature services with all scale suppression removed.  Once I did that I can change Visibility level in the layers of my ArcGIS Online map and they will persist from session to session just fine.  Thanks for the reply and the fix.

Jeff Puuri

0 Kudos
SeanBohac
New Contributor II

I am having what seems like the original issue. I am publishing a feature service, creating a web map with it and the "visibility range" is strange on several of the datasets. So if I zoom around I can get the data to show up. If I change visibility range in the layer and save, close the web map and then open it up the scale is wacky again. I can set the visibility range and then save layer and the problem appears to be solved. But I would like to know why this is happening in the first place and how I can avoid it. I "shared as" an mxd with my data, but it has no scale dependent rendering, where could this be coming from? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sean Bohac, GISP