How can I convert a PDF map into vector data?

11-26-2014 05:53 AM
SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

I have a PDF map that I would like to convert to GIS data. The original map was generated using GIS, however, the data files have disappeared. Without going through all of the original analysis, is it possible to generate polygons from the PDF file? TIA.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

There are probably several ways to convert the PDF to a vector format readable in ArcGIS, but the PDF will probably not have any coordinates, so this procedure is not recommended.

What type of data is contained in the PDF?

0 Kudos
SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

I think I’ll just have to convert it to a jpg or tiff, georeference it and digitize the layer I want (boundaries representing wine regions). It is not a geopdf.

Sharon Janzen, B.Sc.

Map Library Associate, Geospatial Data Coordinator

Brock University | University Map, Data & GIS Library

500 Glenridge Ave. | St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1

brocku.ca | T 905 688 5550 x5890

Rethink printing this email. It's green on the screen.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and immediately delete this message and its contents.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Be aware that you will lose precision in that process. Is it possible to obtain the source files recreate the polygones?

0 Kudos
SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

No. The source files are gone. Someone would have to run the analyses again which might happen anyway. Not to worry. You’ve answered my question.

Cheers.

Sharon

Sharon Janzen, B.Sc.

Map Library Associate, Geospatial Data Coordinator

Brock University | University Map, Data & GIS Library

500 Glenridge Ave. | St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1

brocku.ca | T 905 688 5550 x5890

Rethink printing this email. It's green on the screen.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and immediately delete this message and its contents.

0 Kudos